The Carpenter will build, erect, install, and repair forms, structures, and other fixtures made from wood and other materials as needed to assist with various types of projects.
- Minimum Qualification:Vocational
- Experience Level:Entry level
- Experience Length:1 year
- Measure, mark, and arranges materials to establish a layout based on blueprints or instructions from supervisors.
- Cuts and shapes structures, forms, or other fixtures from wood, plastic, fiberglass, or drywall.
- Uses various hand and power tools to securely build assigned projects.
- Joins materials with the most appropriate nail, screw, staple, or adhesive.
- Ensures the accuracy of work by checking completed projects with tools such as levels, surveying equipment, or framing squares; corrects problems as needed.
- Creates wooden forms for pouring concrete or for tunnels, bridges, or sewer construction projects.
- Erects and dismantles scaffolding.
- Installs windows and doors.
- Adheres to local building and safety codes and guidelines.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of vocational school or technical college or apprenticeship program; OR at least three years of experience via on-the-job training required
- Ability to understand directions and read blueprints.
- Ability to solve mathematical problems quickly and accurately.
- Ability to properly care for and use tools of the trade.
- Thorough understanding of carpentry principles and methods.
- Works well as part of a team.
- Prolonged periods standing, climbing, bending, and kneeling.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time.
- Must be able to safely work with sharp tools or power equipment.
- Must be able to work in a variety of weather conditions and terrains.
- Must have manual dexterity, a good sense of balance, and excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Innovation/creativity (Ability to think outside the box)
- Attention to details
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Strong work ethics
- Leadership attributes
- Strong written and personal communications skills
- Positive attitude
- Strong quantitative skills
- Highly dependable, very organized, able to work independently