Provide Legal Service
• Represent clients and firm in legal proceedings in criminal, civil law suits and other proceedings.
• Works within a team assigned to assist in the handling of a legal transaction or case.
• Oversees interns, paralegals and other legal assistants in their daily duties.
• Prepares legal materials and consults with clients on their legal rights and responsibilities.
• Co-ordinates and presents evidence and necessary materials for defense in criminal or civil law suits, as well as take appropriate steps toward the defense of the suit
• Review recovery documents.
• Prepares arguments, testimonies and makes presentations in Court.
• Represents clients in Court or before Arbitral panels and similar bodies to resolve legal issues.
• Drafts letters on behalf of the Firm and clients.
• Reports relevant findings to senior lawyers on dispute issues and concerns in related cases.
• Writes clear, concise and organised legal documents, letters and memoranda addressing basic legal concepts and facts.
• Reviews works completed by trainees and provides feedback in a constructive manner.
• Researches and examines public and other legal records to help provide legal opinions.
• Effectively responds to questions and inquiries involving well- established or grey areas of law or issues and effectively conveys consequences of decisions.
• Performs administrative and operational functions related to the practice of law
• Evaluates and reviews litigation strategies and briefs.
• Interprets legal issues and advise on it accordingly.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as may be assigned by the Team lead, Management or Managing Partner.
B. Commercial Awareness and Client Development
• Balance day-to-day practice requirements with building clientele and generating new business for the firm
• Manage other activities that will promote and enhance the Firm’s visibility and image in the community.
C. Other General Duties
• Supervise the work of interns, paralegals and other legal assistants
• Works on team strategies on a case by case basis
• Ensure that all legal administrative duties are properly logged.
Job Attribute and Skills
• Good Drafting skills
• Strong Advocacy skills
• Effective Presentation skills
• Good Communication skills
• High level of computer literacy
• Excellent time management skills and the ability to handle competing deadlines
• Problem solving skills
• Good multitasking capabilities
• Good interpersonal skills
• Team building/conflict management
• Personal accountability
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
• Proactive and detail-oriented.
Experience and Qualifications required
• 1st degree in Law, BL
• Masters in Law, LLM would be an added advantage
• Minimum of 5 years active legal practice i.e 5 years post call to Bar