About the Role:
Apprentices will apply her wood working skills in boat building according to plans and instructions provided. The first weeks will be outfitting the workshop including workbenches, jigs and shelving. Subsequent weeks will include working on wooden boats including canoes and cruisers. Our vessels are built using strip planking, planking and reinforced with GRP. Apprentices will be involved in the entire building and outfitting process.
At the end of the 3-month apprenticeship, participant performance will be reviewed. Interested and selected apprentice will be invited to take up a permanent role as a boat builder.
- With minimal supervision, assemble boat units per specifications prescribed on the work plans and instructions,
- Must be able to read and understand units of measure (both metric and imperial),
- Communicates the current product, process or material constraints or issues to the team leader,
- Must be accustomed to physical tasks for extended periods of time. This includes, but not limited to, standing, kneeling, lifting up to 20kg, bending, using your hands and working with various materials,
- Must have basic computer knowledge and basic math skills,
- When asked, assists with training team members to develop job knowledge and improve performance,
- Maintain daily productivity tracking records,
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor and/or management,
- Selecting lumber by size and strength to suit each job, sourcing wood to suit the projects budget and style,
- Reading blueprints and designs to work to specifications prepared by other professionals, naval architects and code recommendations.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- · OND, Associates degree, Apprenticeship certificate or equivalent qualification
- · Carpentry or wood working knowledge/ experience preferred but not necessary
- · Experience of using hand and power tools such as drills, chisels, sanders, saws and nail guns preferred but not necessary.
General Job Requirements:
- Pass a background check and aptitude test,
- Promote a safe and clean work environment,
- Willingness to work on a team and handle some tasks individually,
- Able to follow manufacturing instruction and quality processes,
- Must practice PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) policies as mandated per area. (Use of safety glasses/goggles, hearing protection, etc.)
- Must follow company safety guidelines,
- Must be fluent in the English language,
- Attendance at the workshop on Monday to Thursday from 9am to 5pm.
- 50 000 NGN per month; choice to be paid once or twice monthly,
- Health insurance for duration of the apprenticeship,
- Upskilling and training in boatbuilding techniques,
- Apprenticeship logbook and certificate,
- 1-hour long lunch break and two 30 minutes long personal breaks daily,
- Routine safety, quality and manufacturing seminars and training sessions.
Note: Your cover letter should include reasons you would be a fit for the role advertised.
We are committed to reaching and recruiting from minority communities and supporting employees to achieve their full potential ensuring they feel valued and included, regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation or social background. We prioritise employment of women in trade and technical roles.