- Studying plants and soil in order to develop better planting, cultivation, and harvesting techniques.
- Researching, developing, and promoting farming practices or products that diminish the effects of changes in soil, climate, and weather or prevent damage from pests.
- Visiting fields to collect seed, plant, and soil samples and testing samples for nutritional deficiencies, diseases, or other changes.
- Assisting with the plant selection process and the development of planting and irrigation schedules, budgets, and timelines.
- Keeping detailed records regarding fields, customers, crops, and samples.
- Generating reports and presenting findings to management, clients, or other interested parties.
- Promoting products and techniques through educational presentations.
- Managing teams of scientists while conducting field visits or laboratory work.
- Selling personalized consultation services to clients.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Agriculture, or related field.
- More education and experience may be preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel.
- Ability to work outside, stand, walk, kneel, and stoop for extended periods.
- Proficiency with computers, especially MS Office and diagnostic scientific software.
- Exceptional active listening and verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong research, decision making, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
- Awareness of industry trends, technology, and developments.
- Sales and presentation skills are also a major plus.