Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization operating for over 35 years who are committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food, and shelter.
The beginning of contract: 1/10/2018
- Under the supervision of the Watsan Team Leader, the Water officer will lead and supervise work projects, respecting deadlines and technical requirements.
- The Water officer will be in charge to implement and follow-up the drilling and the rehabilitation of boreholes and in the host community and IDP camps.
- According to the context, the Water officer could be in charge of supervising the construction of Block of emergency latrine and shower, shelter or another task.
Set-up and operational monitoring:
- Under the supervision of the Watsan Team Leader, take part in the logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of job sites
Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction work using Solidarités International tools (in particular):
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out
- Recruit and train the workforce and daily workers
- Allocate the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the team leader
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and estimates
- Respect deadlines established with his/her line manager
- Supervise operational teams, contractors and/or communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community participation
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of his/her activity and propose solutions to avoid them
- Manage the supply of worksite materials by collaborating with the logistics department
- Report to the project manager and/or team leader on the state of decentralized stock (‘field’ stock) on his/her sites.
- Take part in the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her team leader and/or project manager
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of his/her team leader
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to the team leader regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyse the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration
- Take part in restitution meetings and clusters on request
- Professional experience in a similar position (NGO/Private or Public sector)
- Must be able to speak English, Kanori, Haussa,
- Personal qualities: reliable, honest, very good organization, resistance to stress, good interpersonal skills (communication), team player
- University degree in Water Resources or Civil Engineering or in one of the disciplines of Water Supply and/or Hydrology.
- Good knowledge of the project cycle, project implementation, project follow-up
- Microsoft Office (Excel and Word skills), GIS and drawing software (AutoCAD)
- Management related skills
- Interested and qualified candidates submit their Applications (with CV, Cover Letter, References in one single file) in only one file in Word or PDF.
- The file must be named with your name and surname.
- The subject of the mail must be "Water Officer Ngala"
- Candidate from Ngala are kindly invited to apply
- No paper applications will be accepted
- As the position is required as soon as possible, Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the final date.
How to Apply?
Please login to see application instructions.