Project Overview and Role
- Propcom Mai-Karfi is a DFID programme aimed at increasing incomes for the poor in Northern Nigeria through enhanced employment opportunities for increased employment and improved productivity in selected agricultural market systems in northern Nigeria.
- It now has a three-year extension to work in a reduced number of states from mid-2018 which now will focus in: Borno, Adamawa and Yobe, Gombe, Bauchi and Taraba, Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa states. Propcom Mai-karfi seeks to hire a dynamic Deputy Team Leader for the below role:
- The Deputy Team Leader will be a part of the Senior Management team.
- Strategic And Operational Planning:
- Supports in the preparation of the annual strategic plans; technical and operational work plans and budgets; staffing plans; performance improvement plans and other plans as required;
- Accountable for the successful implementation of market development activities through the effective leadership and management of the key Technical staff.
- Support in identifying potential new activities for the project, work with the Team Leader to drive forward innovative ideas in the project
- Monitor implementation progress; works to resolve issues, manage and mitigates risk; and escalates material issues and risks as appropriate
- Contribute to the overall leadership of the programme as part of the senior management team,
- Support the Team Leader in providing leadership and guidance to the market group as a whole Ensure the ongoing professional development of Market Section Managers, particularly in relation to business consulting skills and deal-making.
Performance Management, Training & Mentoring:
- Contribute to training needs assessment of market group team, developing and implementing performance improvement plans and on-the-job-training where appropriate.
Monitoring, Evidence & Learning:
- Provide timely and accurate reporting on market development activities, based on evidence of PM’s impact which also promotes learning across the Team and with wider stakeholders.
- Oversee and quality assure market development activities to maximise impact, identify new sub-sectors for PM investment as necessary,
- Provide technical guidance to the Technical Team to ensure results are achieved.
Key Competencies and Professional Expertise Required:
- Successful track record in delivery of complex programmes,
- Excellent leadership, representation and organizational skills,
- Strong management and interpersonal skills,
- Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyse financial / business reports and
- Excellent English language communication skills and ability to work collaboratively across technical disciplines.
- A minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience in agricultural, livestock and rural development, this experience can include working for an agribusiness,
- Demonstrable experience delivering agricultural M4P programming,
- Relevant experience delivering development projects in Sub-Saharan Africa,
- Work experience in W. Africa and specifically Nigeria is preferred and
- A demonstrated understanding of Climate Smart Agriculture is preferred.
- Fluency in speaking and understanding Hausa is desirable,
- Recently work in a DFID Funded Programme and
- Experience, held key management staff member on a large agriculture development programme.