We provide services worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic
development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is
in demand around the globe, with the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations and governments of other countries all benefiting from our services. The German Federal
Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is our main commissioning party, but we also work with the private sector,
fostering successful interaction between development policy and foreign trade.
All these commissioning parties place their trust in GIZ by working together with us to generate ideas for political, social and economic change, develop these into concrete plans and implement the envisaged change processes. Since we are a public-benefit federal enterprise, German and European values are central to our work.
This makes us a reliable service provider that people can trust. Together with our partners, we work to deliver flexible and effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2017, we generated a business volume of around 3 billion euros. Our 20,726
employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national personnel, work in around 120 countries. As a recognised development service
provider, we currently have 577 development workers in action in partner countries. Furthermore, in 2018, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the Federal Employment Agency, placed 317 integrated experts and 518 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries, or provided them with financial support, advice or other services.*
*Personnel figures as at 31 December 2018
- The national expert is a professional responsible for:
- Technical and financial planning, coordinating, implementing, and monitoring of CARI activities
- Supporting CARI MF partners and stakeholders in the implementation of projects funded under the matching fund scheme
- Regular project reporting
- Development of appropriate business models and plans
- Coordinating and networking with relevant stakeholder in the sector
- These duties are complex and demanding due to their mere
- outreach. Their implementation requires sound careful coordination. In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
- Tasks Related to Operations
- In collaboration with other members of the CARI team, translates the responsibilities above autonomously and efficiently into action in line
- with planned targets. These comprise the following tasks:
- Preparation and implementation of operational plans and budgets for effective engagements with CARI private and public partners,
- beneficiaries and stakeholders with the view to ensuring that all parties work together seamlessly to deliver the program’s
- Preparation and implementation of activities related to CARI instruments i.e. Matching Fund (MF), Human Capacity
- Development (HCD), technical, organizational and business advisory services, and support to policy advocacy services
- Development and implementation of advisory services models that will deliver appropriate value chain-wide technical support
- (i.e. milling technologies, mechanization services, etc.); and business development support (i.e. linkages with financial
- services and input & output markets, business planning etc.) for CARI beneficiaries
- Ensure quality of all aspects of implementation with a focus on supervision of training activities and reporting
- Working closely with CARI MF partners to further develop and implement the existing out grower model to integrate smallholder
- Preparation and negotiation of memoranda of understanding, agreements of contracts on project implementation and collaborative ties with CARI partners stakeholders of resource
- person with a focus of inclusive business models
- Establish and maintain collaborative ties with CARI partners, stakeholders and delegations from different backgrounds
- Preparation and negotiation of collaborative ties with CARI partners, stakeholders and delegations from different
- Design and support the implementation of specific studies
- Country specific contributions to monitoring, reporting (to biannual and annual progress reports) and evaluation of program activities
- Synthesize achievements and conceptualize project approaches for institutions in the rice sectors.
Other duties/additional tasks
The position holder
- Provides all documentation related to program activities for accounting in line with requirements from co-financing partners
- Present and support the concepts and experiences of the program during national and international events
- Preparation, moderation, and documentation of meetings and workshops and the organization of field trips as requested
- Receive and accompany consultants and visitors
- Coordinate the work of consultants/resource persons
- Any other instructions are given in furtherance of the project
Required qualifications, competencies and experience
- University degree / further studies in agriculture with specialization in agronomy or agricultural economics or extension.
- Additional training in the areas of value chain approach, cooperatives / social entrepreneurship, banking and finance, non-governmental organization (NGO) administration, business development services, matching fund management, policy formulation and advocacy, mechanization knowledge,
- ICT will be an advantage.
- Professional experience
- At least five (5) years in a comparable position, experience in agricultural value chain development / agricultural banking / agricultural consulting & advisory services/farmer training / grant management/policy formulation & advocacy / partnership brokering substantiated by corresponding references.
- Working experience with/ for agro-industries, bank or development partners.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Knowledge about climate smart practices along the agricultural value chain (rice-specific knowledge is an asset)
- Demonstrated ability to design, manage and implement value chain, agricultural financial services, agribusiness development support activities, farmer organization & training, financial grant services, policy & advocacy support activities in agriculture/agribusiness, use of ICT in agriculture/ agribusiness etc.
- Knowledge of agri-food support polices for Nigeria and of corresponding markets; local knowledge of pilot project areas will be an advantage.
- Capacity to analysis and constructive evaluation combined with the ability to translate evaluation findings on beneficences in optimization of curricula and implementation.
- Facilities of discussion and workshops (preparation, implementation and documentation)
- Presentation techniques and concepts for the marketing of project achievements.
- Very good computer skills in contemporary MS office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Clear and diplomatic communication (oral and written)
- Ability to communicate adequately with interdisciplinary /
- multi-institutional teams (units / research organizations, NGOs and Governmental agencies, farmers, their organizations and donors)
- Team worker and constructive attitude in case of difficulties or conflicts
- Capacity of reflection of own work and willingness to learn
- Developed attitude and awareness of service delivery Languages
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of Hausa is an asset.
You are kindly requested to submit your CV and letter of motivation as one document with complete contact details
(Please include vacancy no. 018 in mail subject)
GIZ Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer; both men and women
are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.