Fleet /Haulage Manager/Works Closely with Fleet Logistics officer
Helpers/ Motor boys
The duties and responsibilities of the Truck Driver are to
- Operate truck in a safe manner in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and company policies. Also operate in accordance with OSHA (Occupational & Safety Health Act) guidelines, and ensure safe driving practices at all times.
- Keep waybills and send same to Logistics officer for documentation.
- Ensure that stocks received waybill accurately and delivered to designated location timely
- Ensure professional interaction with internal and external customers, communicate customer requests to management, and make sure the Driver Assistant does the same.
- Maintain and update route sheets as required by the Fleet Manager. This may include working closely with the Route Manager to improve route efficiencies i.e. impassible streets or potential safety hazards.
- Conduct pre-trip/post trip inspections with the Inspection Officer and maintain drivers log sheets
- Notify Fleet Manager immediately of any unsafe situations, incidents, accidents, injuries or property damage.
- Ensure the Truck is properly washed by Truck Washer, paying attention to cleanings waste from the packer blade & truck body.
- Perform other duties as scheduled by Fleet Manager or Dispatch Officer and assist other drivers as directed to meet customer needs
- Drive trucks/vehicles, and applying knowledge of driving regulations to day to day operations over any distance.
- Take personal responsibility in inspecting trucks before and after trips and submits report indicating truck condition.
- Aspire and continuously work towards company vision of Zero Accident Goal.
- Meet with targets as may be applicable
- Any other jobs and duties as assigned by the F/H Manager/Logistics officers
To be successful in the role the candidate must have the following other skills and attributes:
Confidence in technical and physical abilities
Adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, subcontractors and consultants to adopt safety as a culture. Work with Safety Department to investigate damage, incidents or near misses in the worksite, and ensure proper procedures are carried out according to the Company’s Safety Program
Work in a safe, responsible manner to not intentionally or unintentionally injure oneself, or endanger the wellbeing of others
Ability to work overtime, weekends and/or holidays.
Ability to work in all weather conditions.
Ability to read and understand a map.
% Proper Log Keeping and Reporting
% Accuracy in Loading & Unloading
% Turnaround Time for Offloads
% Adhering to HSE Safety Guidelines while in Operation
% Zero Accidents
Education and Work Experience:
High School Diploma, SSCE/GCE/NECO or OND preferred
Class G / D Driver’s License preferred, or relevant license to function
Minimum 10 years’ experience operating a Heavy Duty Truck is required
Must be able to read and speak the English language well enough to communicate, understand, and respond to questions, directions, traffic signs, signals, and safety training.
Technical and Mechanical Knowledge of Loader and other heavy equipment
Knowledge road construction materials, loading and off loading , road network , and general industry requirements. Understanding of computerized controls and electronics if possible .
Ability to perform physical requirements of the job (prolonged physical exertions, including repetitive lifting, pushing, pulling and climbing).
Ability to drive truck with a manual transmission.
General knowledge of mechanics of trucks.
Good written and verbal communication skills to be able to communicate effectively and professionally with internal and external customers.