United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
- The incumbent also provides strategic advice and managerial oversight over the design, implementation and monitoring and reporting on UNDP Growth & Innovation, sustainable livelihoods as well as on strategic targeting of the most vulnerable in Nigeria. He/she works as Programme Manager for all-Inclusive Growth and Innovation unit interventions and provides strategic oversight on interventions aimed at promoting inclusive and sustainable development as well as to promote inclusive growth strategies in a manner that ensures greater program coherence between interventions aimed at advancing economic transformation and those promoting Inclusive Growth and Innovation both at the upstream and downstream level in line with the current Country Program Document (CPD), UNDAF and recommendations from program evaluations including the Assessment of Development Results (ADR).
- The Inclusive Growth and Innovation Team Leader will cover a broad range of programmatic issues ranging from participation in the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the CPD and UNSPF, joint programming and others UNDP projects and programmes thematic areas assigned to the Unit in addition to supporting program evaluations and monitoring and reporting in line with corporate requirements and standards.
- Under the overall guidance of the Country Director and the direct supervision of the Deputy Country Director for Programmes, the Team Leader leads strategic planning, programme formulation, monitors programme effectiveness and delivery, and ensures UNDP’s corporate mandates and priorities are effectively incorporated into country programmes as well as in overall UNCT development programmes with the Delivering As One framework (DAO).
- He/she advices the country office senior management team on creative partnerships and responses to emerging complex challenges with a view to increasing programme effectiveness and impacts as well as to promote harmonization and alignment with the CPD and corporate plan. Within the country office, the Team Leader works in close collaboration with the Operations Team, the Programme Management and Support Unit (PMSU), and the Sub Office coordinating UNDP’s interventions in Northeast Nigeria to foster teamwork and attainment of country office performance goals and targets.
- The Inclusive Growth and Innovation Team Leader is also responsible for providing leadership and supervision of staff in the Inclusive Growth and Innovation Team and fostering cross-unit cooperation and coordination. The Inclusive Growth and Innovation Team Leader advocates for UNDP global and local priorities and liaises with other UN Agencies, UNDP regional and HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and with civil society.
Summary of Key Functions
- Ensuring the strategic direction of UNDP Inclusive Growth and Innovation Programme
- Management of the CO Inclusive Growth and Innovation programme, and supervision of the Inclusive Growth and Innovation teams and directing their efforts to achieve corporate and CO strategic goals and results;
- Fostering strategic partnerships to enhance programme collaboration and resource mobilization efforts;
- Provision of top quality policy/technical advice services internally within the CO and UNDP, and externally to Governmental and non-governmental partners including development partners, civil society and private sector among others.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and management and sharing of best practices.
- As a member of the CO management team, the Team Leader ensures strategic direction of country programme activities relevant to his/her portfolio from programme design through implementation, monitoring and evaluation. The Inclusive Growth and Innovation Team Leader leads the UNDP programme portfolio with the following expected results:
- Analyzes and keeps abreast of the country’s political and socio-economic environment as well as UNDP policies and priorities in the areas assigned and identifies and proposes areas for UNDP support in line with national priorities and UNDP strategic areas of focus and comparative advantages;
- Identifies key substantive/analytical linkages with other areas of focus within the Country Programme.
- Provides analysis of political, social and economic context in the country and collaborates with others to support the preparation/revision of CPD, UNDAF, CPAP and other key documents;
- Operationalizes the UNDAF/CPD/CPAP in collaboration with main partners (both governmental and non-governmental) and other UN Agencies;
- Leads the Inclusive Growth and Innovation programme Unit in programme formulation and networking to ensure a programme which is relevant innovative and responsive to changes in the country context;
- Ensures full correlation of Inclusive Growth and Innovation portfolio to the disaster reduction agenda as implemented in the country.
- Leads the Inclusive Growth and Innovation Team to ensure a visible, dynamic Inclusive Growth and Innovation programme which positions UNDP as one of the key poverty reduction agency in the country.
- Ensures the Inclusive Growth and Innovation programme is designed with gender sensitivity fully incorporated and Human Rights Based Approach.
- Advises the CD on country programme development and delivery, identifies approaches and modalities to achieve development targets;
- Provides support and inputs to CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management, control of the workflows in the Programme Unit.
- Ensure effective management of the UNDP programme and close and quality Programme Monitoring and Evaluation of programmes in areas concerning Inclusive Growth and Innovation and supervision of the team, focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to on achievement of the following results:
- Works closely with the Inclusive Growth and Innovation Programme staff to assist in monitoring ongoing projects substantively through review of work-plans, progress and performance, evaluation missions and proposes directions and solutions to emerging issues
- Ensures effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results
- Provide strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. The Team Leader performs the function of Manager Level 2 or senior management rights in Atlas for development projects transactions approval
- Ensures effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO programme and evaluation. Through constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, ensures timely readjustment of programme.
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions investigates anomalies or unusual transactions, and put in place necessary corrective actions. Informs supervisors of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Provides guidance in the implementation of advocacy of thematic programme.
- Facilitates any NIM/NEX audit process, arranges for the management response to audit recommendations and timely carries out the recommendations.
- Carries out regular field monitoring visits, reports back on findings and recommendations, ensures the timely implementation of the recommendations to build the capacity of the implementing partners.
- Establish and maintain strategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes.
- Ensure effective creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
- Ensure provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government
- Access UNDP’s world wide and regional knowledge, distill best practices and facilitates dissemination in the CO and to partners; Promotes identification of lessons learned from the country programme for organizational sharing and learning;
- Advocates for UNDP with Government counterparts and ensures access to best available expertise,
- Drafts policy issues/briefing papers directly related to areas of responsibility, as requested by senior management and maintains upstream dialogue with partners to provide development/policy advisory services
- Development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme
- Ensure facilitation to knowledge building and management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Systematic recording of best practices and lessons learnt in the areas assigned;
- Coordination of internal and external reviews and evaluations;
- Organization and facilitation of training for the other staff on Inclusive Growth and Innovation related issues.
- Identifies communications and knowledge management products to be regularly produced with high quality content standards.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall success of the country programme within specific areas of cooperation and reaching UNSPF / CPD goals
- In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets
- The results of the work of the Programme Specialist greatly impact on the standing and reputation of UNDP in the country.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of UNDP
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, change processes, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, oversight of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects
- Ability to apply development theory to the specific country context to identify creative, practical approaches to overcome challenging situations
- Ability to manage for results: translates strategic aims into achievable plans, with established priorities, monitors them, making periodic adjustments as required.
Management and Leadership:
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates outstanding communication skills oral and written communication skills
- Negotiations skills: capacity to work with diverse partners including Government, donors and civil society;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's Degree or equivalent in Development Economics, Development Studies or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience at the national or international level, in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design and implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience in the implementation of Poverty Reduction strategies, as well as in collaborating with International Financial Institutions, will be an asset
- Demonstrated experience in the use of approaches fostering innovations in programming (such as design thinking, prototyping, etc.) as well as experience in implementing programme strategies which will promote innovative aspects of a growing economy.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems
- Fluency in English and the official National language. Knowledge of one more UN official language is desirable.