The Communications Group (CG) provides communication support and services to UNOPS personnel, and country and partnership offices around the world. CG develops communications strategies, policies, plans and channels based on communications needs and expectations; maintains and strengthens UNOPS corporate identity through official reporting to the Executive Board and other external communications, enabling accountability and transparency; communicates a clear direction and strategic focus, ensuring that the people of UNOPS understand and can demonstrate their contribution to the its success; and facilitates and encourages the sharing of information, knowledge and best practices, achieving dialogue throughout the organization.
Under the guidance of the Head of Communications, the Speechwriter and Senior Media Specialist is responsible for helping to position UNOPS and the Executive Director with key global audiences to ensure the highest possible impact for public and media engagement. The role develops messaging, drafts speeches and other communications materials and designs plans for strategic dissemination.
- Provide support to the strategic agenda of the Executive Director through researching, drafting and editing wide range of materials that are factually accurate and politically sound; including speeches, statements, reports, remarks, op-ed articles, messages, talking points, press statements etc., on issues that cover the entire spectrum of the UNOPS work.
- Identify the latest news, and reports and studies by other international organizations on topics that the Executive Director will be addressing in coming speeches and retrieve relevant ideas, facts and figures;
- Monitor keynote speeches by prominent stakeholders in the international arena, and identify strategic opportunities for the Executive Director to speak;
- Consulting and advising the Head of Communications on the form and content of speeches and other materials to have the highest impact on target audiences, in line with the Organization’s communications strategy.
- Developing story lines and securing media coverage to increase the visibility of UNOPS and partner project activities, nationally and internationally
- Designing, project-managing and acting as a focal point for all international media communications campaigns (in three languages).Provide support to the strategic agenda of the Executive Director through researching, drafting and editing
- Promoting UNOPS though coordinating media coverage associated to attendance at events (often through senior management representation) through media management and media partnerships
- Developing and refining media-related guidelines and strategies, and monitor and evaluate results and impact
- Keeping abreast with emerging and trending news and media stories to seize opportunities for positioning UNOPS as thought-leaders on issues related to UNOPS core mandate
- Building relationships with field offices, other departments and external partners to gather information and provide advice on communications outreach
- Performing other duties as required.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in communications, journalism, media, international relations or a or related field with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience is required;
- A first level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) in combination with 2 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
A minimum of 7 years (9 years for a bachelor’s degree) of experience in journalism, speechwriting, international relations, media or a relevant field
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.
Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: I-ICA 3
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.