The context of the Role
- The Brewing Department is responsible for the conversion of raw materials into finished liquid products, ready for Packaging.
- The Shift Manager: Brewing is responsible for his department during shift production hours, with full responsibility for his team and the dept. assets.
- The incumbent oversees all brewing activities through his team and reports to the Brewing Manager.
- The incumbent is responsible for meeting shift production volumes at the right quality while achieving targets in a cost-efficient manner.
- The incumbent is also responsible for the entrenchment of WCM practices in a safe and healthy working environment.
Purpose of the Role
- Overall responsibility for the delivery of shift outputs, targets and goals by managing, leading and supporting the shift team to produce to desired customer service, quality and yield levels in the most cost-effective and efficient manner.
- To identify and drive improvement, ensuring delivery of dept. goals.
- To manage resource allocation, develop team members and optimize individual potential to contribute to overall site performance.
- The complexity of the Role
- The Nigerian beer market is very complex with many competitors and a strong quality, cost, and delivery focus.
- Need to constantly reduce production cost, while maintaining high quality and delivery in a highly unionized working environment.
- Manages full shift responsibility including direct responsibility for developing, coaching and supporting team workers and contractors and indirectly overseeing maintenance activities.
- Interact with other Shift Managers, Brewing Manager, Packaging dept. (key internal customer), Engineering and Supply Planning, to ensure that target volumes are achieved cost-effectively and on time.
- Supervise, prioritize and coordinate all activities of shift team workers, including operational, personnel, and administrative tasks to ensure that all products required are produced to target volumes and specifications with best possible efficiencies and optimum KPI’s.
- Control the cost of production by minimizing process waste, maximizing efficiencies and taking appropriate actions to reduce downtime and improve quality.
- Develop & deliver improved performance against targets through effective problem solving, decision-making and communication between shift teams, and aligned, planned activity with Operations Improvement Team, Engineering support and Supply Planning.
- Lead implementation of the company’s health, safety, quality, environment and hygiene standards for the protection of company products, personnel and assets in the brewing environment.
- Manage the team’s individual training & development within clear improvement plans, using the BCM and CAP framework and PIP’s to drive performance and efficiencies towards world-class standards.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Physical/Biological Science or Chemical Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Should hold an IBG qualification and knowledge of brewing or process control and WCM techniques.
- Experience in food or drink manufacturing environment with a track record of delivering sustainable improvements in production efficiency and quality, particularly through effective people management and development.
- Competency in production management and prioritization of resources to meet key targets, while setting high standards & stretching goals for self & others to exceed internal & external customer needs
- Having a certificate/degree from an institute of Brewing and Distilling (IBD) will be an added advantage
- Structured problem evaluation & solving skills and ready to make decisions, take the initiative and originate action.
- High level of energy and commitment to team-based achievement and high interpersonal effectiveness to develop & sustain robust relationships.