FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology - creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through the integrated WASH, Health, Nutrition and Protection interventions
- The Senior Technical Officer-Media and Communications will work closely with the Communications & Reporting Coordinator in the creation and delivery of memorandums, organizational materials and announcements, donor and external success stories, events and other deliverables pertaining to organizational communications.
- Focuses on developing and delivering clear, concise and coordinated organizational messaging across multiple communications vehicles and on fostering opportunities for dialogue between staff and leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with Communications & Reporting Coordinator in researching and writing a broad range of communications that promote the activities of the organization such as success stories, press releases, photo journals, videos and donor presentations.
- Provides publicity and promotional support for special events and community outreach activities.
- Works with Communications & Reporting Coordinator to develop and implement communications and public relations strategies to promote and publicize a variety of humanitarian projects, services and programs.
- Prepares a variety of promotional and informational materials including articles, blog posts, bulletins, pamphlets, video and other related media material.
- Provides photography support for all reports and communications materials.
- Layout Hausa and Kanuri versions of program publications and IEC materials.
- Work collaboratively with the in-house originators of the work ensuring that all designs are appropriate for the publication.
- Design and format CD-ROMs that will package program material for wide distribution.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BS/BA in Journalism and/or graphic design-related field with 7 - 9 years of relevant experience in design work in print and electronic settings.
- Or MS/MA degree in graphic design-related field with 5 – 7 years relevant experience in design work in print and electronic settings.
- Skilled in word processing and graphic design software packages, preferably MAC-based software, such as Adobe Web/Design Collection, Final Cut Pro, Maya 3D
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required.
- Prior experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO) is required.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public health sector systems and NGOs and CBOs is desired.
- A sound understanding of humanitarian assistance programming is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of principles, theories and methods of communications, public relations, and journalism.
- Strong understanding of FHI 360 and donor IEC and branding policies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent video and photography skills.
- Ability to write, edit, and develop all facets of a publication.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to regularly travel to field sites to document program activities.
- Ability to write effectively for the appropriate audience.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- With minimal supervision, manage high volume of workflow.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues related to emergency response programs.
- Relevant local language skills are preferred.
- Experience working with external print vendors is preferred.
- Skilled in word processing and graphic design software packages, preferably PC-based software, such as Quark, Quark Express, Page Maker, and Microsoft Publisher desirable.
- The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
- Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.