We are a leading Nigerian-based renewable energy company that provides a range of technical and advisory services in the Nigerian energy sector. We focus on:
Engineering and technical support for renewable energy and energy access solutions, both public and commercial.
Clean energy advisory services.
Our company seeks an experienced, committed and resourceful Solar PV Engineer who can help lead its technical team in an exciting initiative that will provide embedded renewable power systems to commercial clients throughout Nigeria.
Job Profile and Description
Given emerging opportunities with on- and off-grid PV technology in the Nigerian markets, we require an experienced and competent individual who can serve as the team’s Senior Solar PV Engineer. This person will be the primary PV expert in an exciting start-up company that will be designing, procuring and maintaining embedded renewable power systems for a wide range of individual, commercial and government clients throughout Nigeria.
- The Senior Solar PV Engineer will work closely with the Business development team in all parts of the commercial PV system planning and management cycle. Tasks will include site surveys, system design, specification, bid document preparation, procurement, and sourcing, as well as after service provision.
- The engineer will contribute to planning and management of on and off-grid PV systems and multi- technology hybrid systems. The engineer is expected to be familiar with systems that include storage and/or complex load management systems.
- The engineer will deliver appropriate design solutions based on specific site resources, customer desires and budgets, and assessed load requirements. S/he will help to identify strategic equipment suppliers. S/he will support the operations and maintenance (O&M) of our installed systems, including the development of maintenance contracts and operations manuals.
- The Senior Solar PV Engineer will have the following primary Responsibilities:
- Supervise the teams to conduct detailed site surveys for PV and hybrid solutions
- Carry out customer meetings as the company’s technical representative
- Design a wide range of on and off-grid solar PV configurations including:
- Embedded systems
- Off-grid stand alone systems
- Mini-grids for off-grid clients and communities
- Micro-grids for commercial and industrial clients
- Large mega-watt scale solar farms (this will not be an initial focus)
- Systems that integrate with existing energy equipment
- Performance modeling, monitoring, and reporting of PV system outputs
- Develop cost estimates of PV plants that include all aspects of the project cycle
- Understand Nigerian regional regulatory requirements, installation standards, and implementation costs
- Build relationships with strategic equipment suppliers
- Support business development teams by providing technical support to project proposals, reports, and technical documents
- Keep abreast of technology developments and identify new products that meet client/customer needs
- Specify and advice on monitoring and display solutions, appropriate circuit and surge protection devices
- Participate in project deployments, monitoring, inspection and debugging activities of key test sites
- Plan and develop an Operation and Maintenance (O&M) program which includes coordinated oversight of O&M activities, quarterly performance reports and site- documentation for clients and internal use, remote monitoring of the plants and conferring with customer and service partners to resolve complaints and to resolve arising challenges
- Report to the CEO for supervision and validation of reports and designs
- Work with the team to build capacity and to learn about the changing solar markets
- Perform other duties as required.
It is expected that the candidate will use her/his existing professional network to help the company in broadening its client and customer base, especially in the commercial and industrial space.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in designing solar PV systems on and off-grid in challenging environments, a commitment to meeting high consumer expectations and a desire to work in a rapidly developing but early stage solar market.
We are seeking an experienced person who
- Is committed to and able to build the skills of a start-up team
- Is willing to work within the constraints of Nigeria’s young PV market, and
- Can confidently carry out tasks with limited supervision.
Experience, Skills, and Knowledge:
- Minimum 3 years field experience in PV engineering.
- Demonstrated experience in the use of modeling and design software to design and plan of tangible systems.
- Demonstrated experience planning rooftops and commercial solar PV systems with a focus on engineering design, construction document development, construction oversight and installation practices. It is expected that the engineer will have designed systems and will have a sound knowledge of off-grid PV design and planning.
- Demonstrated experience designing and developing bidding documents, including knowledge of PV system components, wiring practices, layout, low voltage AC design, medium voltage design, relay protection, metering, utility interconnection requirements etc.
- Knowledge of commercial 3-phase electrical installations and grid connection requirements and protection.
- A hands-on approach to technical support and ability to train other staff.
- Experience with monitoring and communications systems.
- Strong analytical ability; in particular analyzing energy figures and statistic and be able to understand them and extract the valuable/meaningful information.
- Technically self-sufficient and highly motivated.
- Strong technical writing ability, communication and presentation skills.
- Complete knowledge of energy auditing including practical aspects of electrical, mechanical and thermal energy measuring and efficiency practice.
- Ability to execute several projects and tasks in parallel.
- Ability to work cross functionally with engineering, business development, and consulting personnel.
- Willingness to travel frequently, mostly around the country.
- Strong marketing and communication skills are desired traits of candidates
Education and Specific Qualifications:
- We are seeking a candidate who has as many of the above traits and following qualifications as possible. Consideration will be given to candidates that demonstrate strong experience in PV system implementation.
- Degree in electrical engineering or energy technologies
- Master’s degree in renewable energy or equivalent field experience an added advantage
- Internationally recognized solar engineering qualifications or license. Please state these qualifications in your application.
- Energy audit knowledge and or qualifications.
- Registration and/or membership of recognized international engineering body is desirable.