UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband.
Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Position Number: 10026332
The Senior Protection Assistant reports to the Protection Officer. He/she monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provides functional protection support to information management and programme staff. The Senior Protection Assistant provides quality, timely and effective protection support to persons of concern and identifies opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and safeguards in operational responses. He/she contributes to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and may liaise externally with local authorities and partners on protection issues as guided by the supervisor. The Senior Protection Assistant also ensures that persons of concern are involved with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
The incumbent will have the following responsibilities:
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Provide counselling on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation as well as support activities in protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Conduct preliminary information gathering and interviews in support of eligibility, status determination, durable solutions and social needs assessment.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan for persons of concern as part of the protection strategy.
- Participate in individual protection case management including cases of SGBV and child protection. Monitor and report on cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Contribute to initiatives to enhance national and local protection capacities.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for persons of concern.
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit/section.
- Completion of secondary school. Additional Training courses in protection related issues.
- 4 years of relevant job experience.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
Good computer skills.
Completed Protection Learning Programme.