- The Senior Editor will be the lead on all aspects of content publishing in a dynamic work place.
- The Senior Editor will lead a team of writers to curate and publish factual and issue-based information for social, civic and humanitarian development across the African continent.
- The primary duties of the Senior Editor include leading news and information gathering; shaping both content and digital strategies for reader acquisition and retention; editing, proofreading and publishing; leading efforts to establish Development Diaries as an active member of the Nigerian and African press community.
- The ideal candidate will have professional experience as a journalist, both in the field and in the newsroom; experience in digital content development, online news publishing and digital marketing; experience in editing and proofreading; as well as excellent communication and organisational skills.
- The ideal candidate will also have an enviable track record of interest or specialization in human rights and/or sustainable development issues.
- A university degree in Communication and Language Arts, Mass Communication, Journalism, Digital Marketing, English or a related field is essential.
Serve as the primary liaison between staff and management
Recruit writers, reporters, freelancers and volunteers
Set and enforce publication standards and work place policy
Manage official correspondence
Oversee editorial process for news gathering and publications
Ensure utilization of all news sources, including press releases, social media, aggregators and wire services
Manage content curation and publishing according to strict deadlines
Suggest story leads and generate headline ideas based on considerations of audience appeal
Correct spelling, punctuation and syntactical errors in copy
Rewrite and edit copy to improve readability
Fact-check information, statistics and assertions using standard references
Ensure that all copy and publications follow in-house style guide
Secure copyright permissions where necessary
Supervise all writers, freelance contributors and volunteers, acting as mentor and coach
Edit – for grammar, logic and factuality – and proofread all organisational texts
Manage content development and publishing for human rights and sustainable development intervention evaluations (Technical Reviews)
Oversee all graphics design elements of publishing, including layout, artwork and photography
Work with graphics designers on all graphics, layout and user experience briefs
Lead digital content strategy and supervise Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) efforts
Analyse online traffic and social media data to develop and lead implementation of strategies for increasing online engagement and reader retention
Represent Development Diaries at meetings and press events
Serve as the primary liaison between Development Diaries and the national and continental press community
Complete all additional duties of similar complexity as will be required
University degree in Communication and Language Arts, Mass Communication, Journalism, Digital Marketing, English or a related field
Two years of active experience, minimum, in print/TV/radio journalism, both in the field and in the newsroom
Two years of experience, minimum, in a leadership role with responsibility for digital content development, online news publishing and digital marketing/social media strategy
Impeccable command of the English language
Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
Great communication and interpersonal skills
High degree of detail-oriented professionalism
Proficiency in the use of the Microsoft Office suite, particularly Word and PowerPoint
Proficiency in the use of social media platforms, particularly Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
Demonstrable familiarity with SEO and social media best practices
Strong critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
Ability to prioritize and multitask
Ability to work with minimum supervision and to strict deadlines
Strong team leadership and coordination skills