Africa Finance Corporation (AFC) - Established in 2007, the Africa Finance Corporation (AFC) is a private sector-led investment bank and development finance institution created to help mobilize and channel required capital towards driving Africa’s economic development. AFC’s mission is to address Africa’s development needs in a profitable way, creating benefits for both investors and societies in the region.
- The job holder will be required to support the origination and execution of financial advisory mandates as well as other investment related roles and responsibilities as follows:
- Assist in business development activities in relation to securing financial advisory mandates (corporate finance advisory / project finance advisory and capital raising) from prospective clients. Such activities include:
- Actively participating in identifying and pitching for new business opportunities for the Unit/Corporation
- Preparing pitch books, reports, presentations and proposals
- Preparing financial analysis on behalf of prospective clients
- Providing market intelligence to clients in the form of weekly / bi-monthly market update notes
- Maintain an active database of Consultants (individual/corporate) that could be utilized on advisory and other corporate initiatives.
- Manage key client relationships, in conjunction with the other colleagues in the Financial Advisory Unit
- Assist in administering the legal processes associated with financial advisory mandates e.g. ensuring internal KYC processes are adhered to / working with internal counsel, external counsel, clients and colleagues to ensure mandate letters are finalized and executed effectively according to AFC internal processes etc.
- Provide best in class execution in relation to financial advisory mandates including:
- Providing due support to colleagues on-going executions on a day to day basis
- Developing high-level scope of work and subsequently working with colleagues to prepare detailed work plans on engagements
- Preparing presentations, reports, analysis at short notice within tight deadlines whilst ensuring quality output
- Working with external and internal counsel in reviewing transaction documents such as Project Development Agreements, Joint Development Agreements, Concession Agreements, Shareholders Agreements, EPC Contracts etc. to identify key issues for project bankability
- Liaise with AFC sector experts and other investment professionals to get first hand insights on selected projects and sectors
- Preparing complex financial models (corporate finance and project finance models), sensitivity analysis, teasers, investor presentations and comprehensive investment memorandums for Projects
- Preparing and maintaining Investor logs for Projects where necessary
- Participating and where necessary, leading project calls with clients, sponsors and investors
- Working with external and internal counsel in preparing financing documents on Projects such as term sheets, facility agreements, common terms agreement, share subscription agreements etc.
- Liaise with internal stakeholders to ensure effective closure on transactions
- Ensuring AFC remains the project and corporate finance advisor of choice by ensuring quality product is delivered to respective clients within mutually agreed timeframes
- Assist the Head, Financial Advisory in other business management activities, including budgeting, planning and internal reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Keep abreast of external and internal trends/developments relevant to financial advisory and apply knowledge of such trends/ developments appropriately.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of Advisory mandates successfully executed where the candidate has been the lead associate on the mandates
- Quality of input provided for executing financial advisory mandates
- Quality of the database of prospective clients developed and maintained
Competency and Skills Requirement:
- Knowledge and experience in business/financial advisory services
- Excellent project and corporate finance modelling and valuation skills
- Excellent MS-office skill set with core expertise and experience in excel, power point and word
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in the English language.
- Highly cognitive and commercially oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, very good negotiation skills, excellent team player.
- Proven people management, time management and organisational skills.
- Sound knowledge of infrastructure development and financing, particularly within AFC’s core sectors.
- Experience in the preparation of presentations of financial materials to a diverse audience
- Ability to pay attention to details and willingness to work hard
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of financial tools for tracking projects.
- Ability to speak French would be a definite advantage.
- Positive, confident and proactive personality, with a strong work ethic and motivation to succeed.
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- A strong first Degree in Engineering/Economics/Finance from a recognised university
- Appropriate financial certification such as ACA, ACCA, CPA, CFA, etc is desirable
- Relevant advanced degree e.g. Masters Degree in Business Administration, Finance, or a related field could be an added advantage.
- 4-8 years previous professional experience in a financial advisory role is mandatory.
- Relevant experience and understanding of infrastructure development issues, infrastructure finance, project development and private equity.
- Previous hands-on experience in any of financial advisory, investment banking or consulting
- Operational experience relating to Infrastructure related financial advisory will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in writing and speaking English is mandatory
- French, and/or Spanish and Portuguese would be desirable
- Willingness to travel “out-of-station” with minimal prior notice.