GIZ Nigeria seeks to fill the above position with suitable and qualified persons.
GIZ. Solutions that work.
- We provide services worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe, with the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations and governments of other countries all benefiting from our services. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is our main commissioning party, but we also work with the private sector, fostering successful interaction between development policy and foreign trade.
- All these commissioning parties place their trust in GIZ by working together with us to generate ideas for political, social and economic change, develop these into concrete plans and implement the envisaged change processes. Since we are a public-benefit federal enterprise, German and European values are central to our work. This makes us a reliable service provider that people can trust. Together with our partners, we work to deliver flexible and effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2017, we generated a business volume of around 2.6 billion euros. Our 19,506 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national personnel, work in around 120 countries. As a recognised development service provider, we currently have 590 development workers in action in partner countries. Furthermore, in 2017, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the Federal Employment Agency, placed 385 integrated experts and 484 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries or provided them with financial support, advice or other services.
Context/field of activity
- GIZ has been active in Nigeria since 1974. Our main offices are in Abuja, with field offices in Jos (Plateau), Abeokuta (Ogun), Akure (Ondo), Minna (Niger), Borno (Maiduguri), Yola (Adamawa), Calabar (Cross-River) and Sokoto (Sokoto). With 250 employees, we work with the Nigerian government to articulate, negotiate and implement its ideas for reform and development. We hereby focus on enhancing the capacities of individuals and organisations in the country. Our work in Nigeria is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the European Union, other German Ministries, the German Foreign Office, Nigerian institutions, as well as international organisations such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Our areas of operation in Nigeria comprise:
- Sustainable Economic Development
- Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency
- Agricultural Value Chain Development
- Peace, Reconstruction & Security; and Regional Integration.
The Security Focal Point is responsible for:
- Implementing and maintaining the operational GIZ Risk Management Policies and Processes. S/he is working for the field office in Abeokuta, that houses several GIZ projects and is reporting to the GIZ Risk Management Office (RMO) in Abuja. S/he is expected to support project implementation under the GIZ security framework.
- Maintaining a functional information network: liaise with relevant national and international development organizations and security stakeholders.
- Reporting and documentation: situation reports, HRE Plan (Hibernation, Relocation and Evacuation), incident reporting, site assessments, etc.
- Providing crisis management support to the country director.
- Acts as a liaison and focal point between the Risk Management Office (RMO), the country director and the international and national staff present at the duty station.
- Updates the HRE (hibernation, relocation and evacuation) plan at the given location and updates the plan on a quarterly basis.
- Maintains contact details of local police and medical facilities.
- Provides information on overland movements and is always updated about the movement/transportation of team members and visitors.
- Clearly communicates absences to the team and always nominates an acting deputy, also towards the RMO (“in my absence from to, I will be deputized by).
- Provides information and (if possible) training on alternative communication devices such as radio/satphone and ensures the equipment is operational.
- In close coordination with the AV/RMO initiates incident/emergency responses, if required.
- Is reachable via phone or other means of communication media.
- Conducts and reports security-related training needs of staff, guards etc.
- Instructs, if necessary, guards on improved site security.
Professional advisory services
- Monitors and analyses the security situation and prepares weekly situation/incidents reports and shares it with AV/RMO.
- Informs the dispatcher in Abuja on all planned overland travel movement.
- Implementation and maintaining of a GIZ in-country travel management system (Overland Travel Requests, Tracking of vehicles etc.).
- Travel clearance and approval
- Conducts security incident mapping and reporting.
- In coordination with the RMO issues security alerts. Prepares and conducts head counts, if instructed by the RMO, or the project management.
- Conducts and implements site assessments with support of RMO Abuja.
- Prepares and implements security risk assessments and risk mitigation measures in conjunction with the RMO.
- Advises and communicates on technical protection measures (site protection).
- Briefs incoming staff/consultants on security measures (attending security briefings, curfew time etc.).
- Ensures that adequate means of communication are in place, equipment is maintained and personnel trained.
- Ensures together with the project leaders that project vehicles are maintained.
- Maintains and updates the contact list / absence list of all staff.
Networking and cooperation
- Collects information on the security situation in the project area and establishes an informal network with other international organizations, (I)NGOs, partner organizations, etc.
- Liaises and collaborates with different official and informal national authorities as well as national and international risk management entities.
- Maintains, and expands a security-relevant network to provide comprehensive information on the security situation.
- Attends security meetings and security coordination committees in Abeokuta.
Other duties/additional tasks
- Carries out any other assignment as determined by the country director and/or the RMO.
- In case of emergency/ crisis, the position holder is expected to operate outside normal working hours.
- Frequent travels to all project areas are expected.
Required qualifications, competencies and experience
- University Degree in areas such as Political or Social Sciences, Conflict or crisis analysis or other relevant fields
- At least 3 years professional working experience in a comparable position in international Non-Governmental Organisation, (I)NGO, multinational or national organisation and or experience in any of the armed services or paramilitary organisation.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Analytical skills
- Logistics and/or military background are assets
- Excellent command of oral and written English
- Excellent communication skills
- Good working knowledge of ICT technologies and computer applications (MS Office)
- Good working knowledge of modern and alternative communication systems (telephone, fax, e-mail, internet, Iridium-Sat phones, VHF-Radio, Skype)
- Technical competence using GPS devices
- Fluent in oral and or written knowledge of Yoruba Language
- Good Knowledge of Abeokuta and Adjoining States in the SW
- Customer minded, cooperative and understanding of the requirements of project implementation
- You are kindly requested to submit your CV and letter of motivation as one document with complete contact details via email.
- (Please include vacancy no. in mail subject)
- GIZ Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer; both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted