GIZ. Solutions that work.
We provide services worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe, with the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations and governments of other countries all benefiting from our services. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is our main commissioning party, but we also work with the private sector, fostering successful interaction between development policy and foreign trade.
All these commissioning parties place their trust in GIZ by working together with us to generate ideas for political, social and economic change, develop these into concrete plans and implement the envisaged change processes. Since we are a public-benefit federal enterprise, German and European values are central to our work. This makes us a reliable service provider that people can trust. Together with our partners, we work to deliver flexible and effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2017, we generated a business volume of around 2:6 billion euros. Our 19,506 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national personnel, work in around 120 countries. As a recognised development service provider, we currently have 590 development workers in action in partner countries. Furthermore, in 2017, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the Federal Employment Agency, placed 385 integrated experts and 484 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries or provided them with financial support, advice or other services.
*Personnel and business figures as at 31 December 2017
- The GIZ Programme “Skills for Youth Employment in Nigeria (SKYE)” supports the diversification of the economy in Nigeria through the promotion of demand-oriented technical and vocational training and education (TVET). Hereby the project is focusing mainly on the agriculture and construction (Housing) sector.
- The strategy of the project is to improve the synergy between measures on the supply side of the job market (vocational qualification) with those of the demand side (technology transfer and development, consultation of producer groups and processing companies) in order to enable TVET providers to develop and implement in market- and target group-oriented qualification offers.
Responsibilities & tasks:
- The PR & Communications Advisor is responsible for the strategic communication and advocacy of the Skills Development for Youth Employment (SKYE) in Nigeria. He/she is responsible for supporting, enhancing and delivering the Program’s strategic communications and public relations (communications, media relationships and advocacy) in collaboration with the program teams. He/she directs the communication initiatives and acts as an advisor on matters of strategic communication, public advocacy and visibility. He/she ensures high quality of the external communication of the SKYE program and its donors. He/she is also responsible for the development and execution of an effective communication strategy to promote the SKYE Program in Nigeria
- Development and implementation of the communication strategy and action plan in line with the SKYE Program operational plan, and visibility guideline of GIZ, in collaboration with specialized communication organizations, program team and key stakeholders.
- Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing, communication and public relations activities that will enhance the image of SKYE, its ongoing reform and facilitate internal and external communications
- Create and Maintain (content wise) the SKYE program website to facilitate the presentation of the program results, and ensure that it serves as a reference platform for sharing information among the external audience involved in the reform
- Permanent coordination with the Communication Officer of GIZ Country Office and the donor’s focal points for communication ensuring that all communication is respecting the GIZ visibility guidelines.
Media & PR work
- Coordination with the mainstream, national and regional media concerning the effective dissemination of information about the SKYE program
- Enhances the way in which GIZ communicates to all stakeholders and promotes its image and initiatives, as a forward-looking organization
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all publications
- Advises all the program teams and partner organizations on communication and public relations
- Professional advisory services
- Advising partner institution(s) on order clarification, identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provides technical input in development communication and PR
- Participating in identifying needs for external support and advice, works on policy recommendations and develops a strategic approach
- Networking and cooperation
- Ensuring cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners; carry out PR work and cooperates with relevant organisations and individual stakeholders to improve and maintain good working relationships
Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
- Master Degree in Journalism, Mass Communication or any other relevant field
- 3 - 5 years of professional experience with national and international organisations in the field of communication (media and PR work, journalism, internal communication or lobbying or similar)
- Experience in Event Management is of added value
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Demonstrated knowledge about the Technical Vocational Educational Training (TVET) and Skills Development landscape including the business and corporate sector of Nigeria
- Ability to express oneself well both verbally and in writing; polished, target-group oriented style
- Proven experience with media production, event management, content management, writing articles and press releases (evidenced eg. by work samples)
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (eg. MS Office)
- Very good knowledge of English and other regional languages are spoken in Nigeria
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- VA No.- 062
- You are kindly requested to submit your CV and letter of motivation as one document with complete contact details via email
- (Please include vacancy no. in mail subject)
- GIZ Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer; both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted