- Undertake a detailed analysis of the existing national situation, understanding farmers’ needs for machinery, equipment and agricultural services
- Support smooth rollout of programme to secure private investment in service center operators and assembly plants under the Green Imperative, ensuring long-term business viability
- Work with the Good Agronomic Practice Lead to ensure a strong link and market-based feedback between service operators and extension workers on appropriate soil conditions and operations needed on farmland for successful planting and harvesting, defining the starting and finishing dates of the different operations
- Promote the use of appropriate technology for primary processing, value addition, low cost scientific storage and transport of agricultural produce to minimize wastage during post harvesting processes
- Select appropriate tools, implements and machines for energy management across the value chains of priority crops
- Evaluate technical proposal by service centre operators to ensure proposed machinery, equipment and agricultural services is reflective of local economy and farmers’ needs in selected locations.
- Ensure capacity building for farmers by service operators through their business model to ensure effective time working with equipment leased from service centres and equip farmers to choose good tractor/implement combinations that are economical.
- Ensure equipment to be leased by service operators to farmers is appropriate and business model allows for affordable leasing by farmers in priority value chains in key states.
- Understand the functions, operating principles, service procedures and fault diagnosis of tractors and farm machinery, electrical and electronic systems as applied to agricultural machinery
- Conduct research to ensure incorporation of best practices, latest trends and technologies to enable decision-making
- Prepare detailed annual work plans and progress reports on mechanisation component in collaboration with the delivery advisors
- Develop recommendations for Federal Ministry of Agricultural and Rural Development (FMARD) based on lessons learned to guide deployment / scaling of agricultural mechanisation
What We Are Looking For
Experience and Qualifications:
- At least 8 years’ experience in the agriculture sector is essential with proven experience in sales and marketing of agricultural machinery and/or vehicles
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Agriculture, Agriculture Engineering or Agribusiness with some understanding of water management
- Have in-depth knowledge on soil, water, vegetation and compatibility with mechanisation technologies
- Excellent knowledge of latest mechanisation technologies, trends and best practices in the agriculture industry
- Network of contacts with mechanisation technology providers and manufacturers
- Strong business understanding of the dealer environment including knowledge of distribution and technical knowledge of agricultural machinery
- Proven track record in planning, implementing, and promoting farm mechanisation projects, plans or programs
- Strong team leader with proven field operations management experience
- Strong administrative and organization skills, commitment, attention to detail and strong forward planning skills
- Hands on approach to work, with the ability to deliver on deadlines in a fast-paced and fast-changing environment, with minimal or no supervision
- Exceptional oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective inter-personal and leadership skills with an ability to develop and foster relationships across a wide range of diverse and senior stakeholders
- Ability to operate and succeed in a highly political environment;
- Strong analytical and management skills, including sound knowledge of strategic planning and project management tools;
- Ability to use own initiative and actively look for opportunities to have an impact rather than simply be reactive
- A decent understanding of how governments, businesses and international development organisations operate and how to succeed in them
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office products Word, Excel and PPT and other relevant software and tools.
- Drive, motivation and ability to consistently achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable but not essential.
Values we look for:
- Courage… because to tackle global challenges, we must innovate and take smart risks
- Collaboration… because when we work together and with external partners, we can overcome even the largest problems
- Compassion… because our work is ultimately about improving people’s lives