Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And its girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood.
- This is a project with a duration of 30 months and is supported by BMZ with Funding from the German Government.
- The purpose of this role is to co-ordinate and manage livelihood training, saving groups (SGs) and cash based intervention activities in project locations in Mubi Field Office areas of responsibilities.
- The post holder will support the implementation process by working with team members, stakeholders and community members in accordance with Plan’s emergency response programme strategy in North East Nigeria.
- The Livelihood and Cash Officer will be supervised directly by the project coordinator with technical support and supervision from the Livelihood specialist.
Dimensions of Role
- Communicates with the project coordinator, across Plan International and with relevant stakeholders and beneficiaries.
- The post holder will support the establishment of a robust livelihood, market and cash sectoral system.
- The post holder will interface and support programme team members and programme coordination.
- The role requires strong facilitation and organisational skills along with the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to all staff and stakeholders.
- The post holders will also contribute towards the capacity building of stakeholders and community based organisations.
- In collaboration with the Field Team and Livelihood/Cash Specialist, the Livelihood/Cash officer will:
- Implement livelihood and cash transfer programming for the humanitarian response and ensure beneficiaries are selected based on community based participatory criteria.
- Support community sensitization, mobilization, awareness creation and participatory decision.
- Collect and authenticate all information sheets (beneficiary lists, registration forms, distribution lists, and others) for delivery of livelihood intervention services;
- Support the development and implementation of Livelihood/ Cash component implementation plans to capture project performance and results, including data reporting, assessments, and all beneficiaries’ registration and in kind/cash distribution activities
- Support to ensure that livelihood/cash-specific elements of community and field level staff and volunteers capacity strengthening plans are successfully implemented.
- Report results of Livelihood/Cash activities by providing written documentation about progress toward achieving indicators/targets, as appropriate.
- Provide leadership at project location level on Livelihood/Cash activities to ensure project technical integrity to achieve project/program goal and corresponding objectives and targets
- Ensure high-quality implementation, in close collaboration with the field based team and sector specialist(s) and consistency in protocols, information and reporting systems
- Lead efforts at project location to conduct project interventions activities (livelihood/ cash), document results and provide feedback to stakeholders to guide decision-making
- Lead efforts to train field level staff and financial services agents to set-up systems for effective cash/in-kind distribution and crowd control at such events to facilitate record keeping
- Utilize the pre/post distribution assessment data collected to inform strategic decision-making and project planning
- Cultivate strategic sectors relationships and networks, and act as alternative representative of the livelihood and cash sector in FSSWG, ERLWG and CWG meetings, conferences, and presentations.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of Higher National Diploma/Bachelor Degree in the field of Sociology, Language Arts, Education, and Agriculture.
- Minimum of 1-year post NYSC working experience in Livelihood/Cash operation with an emergency or development program.
- Experience in VSLA formation and training including community mobilization and participatory decision making.
- Prior experience with Plan International as a volunteer or consultant – Preferred
- Demonstrated experience and capacity as enumerator conducting emergency assessments, field-level data collection, and experience analysing field data and concisely reporting on results.
- Experience of implementing livelihood projects e.g. conditional/unconditional cash grant; public works/ cash for work projects; Cash for nutrition (INP+CBT); agricultural support; home based skills development or income generation projects- Preferred.
- Strong understanding of youth and women employment, small and micro enterprise, education and vocational skills training and career counselling in livelihoods related enterprise.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Proven expertise and understanding of diverse cash transfer and Skill acquisition training modalities, policy and compliance requirement
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies, research, reporting and presentation.
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple counterparts in private, public and NGO sectors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English including excellent facilitation skills and demonstrated technical writing skills for report writing.
- Familiarity with cash based transfer, group organizing and mobilization for safety net projects
- Ability to work effectively with diverse international teams.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
- Strong technical skills, including ability to utilization of digital platform for cash transfer.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages (Excel/Word document)
- Strong leadership skills including ability to influence a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to forge excellent relationships with participants in multi-ethnic, religious and early recovery context.
- A good understanding of best practices, techniques for achieving and sustaining youth's positive engagement.