The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist with day to day finance activities;
- Daily management, collection, receipting and custody of all cash payments made at the Humanitarian Hub
- Prepare finance documents for banking and ensure relevant supporting documents are attached;
- Maintain a proper filing system of all cash received, banked and all other relevant financial documents;
- Ensure all supporting documentation and signatures are obtained before finalizing vouchers;
- Bring to the attention of the supervisor any relevant financial, and administrative issues;
- Daily management of petty cash in the Hubs;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Degree/Diploma or its equivalent from an accredited academic institution in Business or Public Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics, University Degree a distinct advantage; or an equivalent combination of education, training & experience;
- Minimum Three Years (One Year for Degree Holders) in related field; preferably within the United Nations or the International Humanitarian Field
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality; Proactive; Independent Worker; A great team player; Fast Learner; IT Literate; Interpersonal Skills; Administrative & Time Management Skills; SAP knowledge is an added advantage
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple languages advantageous;
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
Inclusion & respect for diversity:
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency:
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2018.97 Maiduguri. Junior Finance Assistant (Cashier) G3.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- The position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to Apply?
Please login to see application instructions.