Indigenous integrated Oil & Gas Company is currently looking for an In-House Counsel/Company’s Secretary to join their team. Our focus is downstream and the successful candidate will provide and implement legal advice and best practice. He/She is to play a central part of the organization’s corporate governance infrastructure.
· Minimum of 5 years post-call to bar.
· LLM is an advantage
· Computer literate
· Good Communication and writing skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Organized and perceptive
· Proven experience as a legal counsel in a business environment
· Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures
· Full comprehension of the influences of the external environment of a corporation
· Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies
· High degree of professional ethics and integrity
· Sound judgment and the ability to analyze situations and information
· Honesty and integrity
· Discretion, diplomacy and tact
· Analytical thinking and attention to detail
· Communication skills, including active listening
· Must be fit, law-abiding and honest, with no previous criminal convictions, showing integrity and objectivity
· Know and apply legal ethics and related behaviours in an in-house environment
· Respond professionally to conflicts of interest
· Recognizes circumstances giving rise to ethical problems or conflicts
· Must possess behaviour indicating a solid understanding of legal ethical principles
· Behaviour indicates a solid understanding of conflict of interest, how to avoid and when to disclose
· Must keep company’s privileged information confidential and apply an understanding of the concept of legal privilege and related principles
· Invoke legal privilege appropriately in order to withhold disclosing or discovering documents
· Apply understanding of the difference between privilege and confidentiality
· Actions demonstrate an understanding of attorney-client privilege
· Actions demonstrate an awareness of and application of the duty of confidentiality
· Knowledge of the law of contract, principles pertaining to the interpretation of contracts and understanding of basic Commercial Law principles
· Demonstrate the ability to apply the laws and principles of contract
· Demonstrate the ability to draft and vet a sound, reliable contract
· Knowledge and understanding of the laws and principles pertaining to litigation
· Must have managerial, administration, and leadership skills and the knowledge and experience
· Provide and implement legal advice and best practice, to play a central part for the organization’s corporate governance infrastructure, and ideally to act as a trusted advisor or strategic partner in the organization
· Dealing with the inevitable pressures and potential conflicts of interest that arise as part of the day-to-day professional life within his/her organization
· Handle all legal business and to take charge of managing legal risk in-house
· Follow a traditional model of litigation, conveyance and commercial divisions
· To provide legal compliance advice and/or to manage the legal compliance function
· Responsibility for risk management, anti-bribery/corruption, anti-money-laundering, and data protection compliance.
· Expected to perform the duties of a company secretary
· Act as support function providing legal services and advice to the organization and is part of either a general or divisional department;
· Provide general & expertise legal advice on general business issues.
· Demonstrate ability to proceed to recover outstanding debts
· Demonstrate ability to attempt to resolve disputes before decisions to proceed with litigation;
· Demonstrate ability to prepare thorough briefs to attorneys to litigate on a matter on behalf of the company;
· Demonstrate ability to settle and close out matters which are under dispute through either alternative dispute resolution or via the courts
· Knowledge of the laws and principles pertaining to alternative dispute resolution.
· Demonstrate ability to proceed to alternative dispute resolution forums (alternative to the magistrate or high court processes)
· Knowledge and understanding of the Nigeria standard laws, laws relating to companies.
· Support the effective operation of the Board of Directors
· Give accurate and timely counsel to executives in a variety of legal issues.
· Collaborate with management to devise efficient defence strategies
· Specify internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance
· Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations
· Communicate and negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, public authority etc.)
· Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company’s full legal rights