- Unit: Data Science
- Reporting to CTO
- Leadership/Supervisory Role: This is the first and most prominent role of the Head of Data Science and in this leadership position he is responsible for playing the role of leading innovation within the business and, as such, he defines how the business creates additional value through the utilization of its data assets and analytics.
- He is tasked with consistently identifying and monitor key business risks and realizing the data needs of the business. The Head of Data Science manages the junior data science teams and oversees all activities ensuring alignment with departmental and business-wide vision and strategies.
- In this position, it is also the Head of Data Science role to drive education and evangelization of data sciences throughout the business by communicating the vision and use cases of advanced analytics.
- The Head of Data Science manages the business’s external data and analytics partners and plays a leading role in the development and design of the departmental vision, capabilities, infrastructure, and quarterly/annual roadmap for the launch of data sciences capabilities. It is also the role of the Head of Data Science to build the business’s data science talent needs through role definition, recruitment, and development of a team of data scientists that will jointly move the business’s agenda forward.
- The Head of Data Science additionally plays a mentorship role to key data science positions, guiding them in them through the execution of their duties, and encouraging their professional growth in preparation for their occupation of his position in future.
- Strategy: The Head of Data Science also plays a strategic role where he is tasked with continuously improving the business’s data analysis model, creating industry-leading performance through the leveraging of new and creative data-sources, and employing the latest in machine learning in the department.
- The Head of Data Science also scopes, designs, and implements machine-learning models to support the business’s numerous initiatives and programs with a view of achieving overall objectives and targets. In this position, he matches and optimizes algorithms that are fundamental to the business’s products/services identifying better matches that will ultimately improve the consumer experiences.
- Collaboration: The role of the Head of Data Science is a highly collaborative one and in this position he works closely with other Data and Analytics Teams, inclusive of data analytics, data warehousing, and data engineering teams in creating big data applications through the utilization of structured and unstructured data, designing optimal data architecture, and experimenting on new machine learning techniques.
- The Head of Data Science also works collaboratively with the senior Data and Analytics management and serves as a trusted advisor to this executive leadership in the creation and deployment of useful insights that inform and activate business strategies across the business. This collaboration sees the Head of Data Science translate models and validate key findings to Data and Analytics executive leadership.
- Analytics: The Head of Data Science will also play an analytical role where he will drive experimental data modelling designs within the business. He will constantly run A/B tests in order to evaluate changes in the business’s product/services. It is also the duty of the Head of Data Science to track the business’s performance against data analysis model and monitor trends in key business KPIs, providing valuable insights to relevant departments for overall business performance improvement.
- The Head of Data Science will be required to draft regular reports for senior Data and Analytics reporting on departmental performance and presenting recommended models and departmental strategies for approval.
- Knowledge: The Head of Data Science is tasked with maintaining a deep understanding of the business’s marketplace dynamics. He takes initiative and conducts exploratory data analyses and experimental designs, which will help the business to better understand trends and behaviour within these markets and settle on the most suitable strategies to drive success and achievements of goals and targets.
- The Head of Data Science performs similar duties as he deems fit for the proper execution of his duties and duties as delegated by the Director Analytics, Chief Technology Officer, or the Employer.
- Education: The Head of Data Science has to have a master’s degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or any other related quantitative field from a premier educational institute.
- Should be hands-on with required technology skills