The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC Plc) one of the 11 privatized Electricity Distribution companies in Nigeria that operates in the following states; Kogi, Niger, Nasarawa and Abuja, is presently recruiting for the position above.
- The job holder will provide financial oversight, analytical insights, planning and financial modelling/forecasting support to teams in addition to assisting them in prioritizing resource allocation and capex spend based on expected financial impact to the business.
- The job holder will also provide analytical perspectives and recommendations to important business and financial strategic decisions, and manage effective relationships with investors, partners and internal and external stakeholders
Supervision and control of the following functions:
- Fundraising – Debt/Equity Capital Markets
- Investment Appraisal & Analysis
- Project Development
- Financial Modelling/ Tariff Design
- Corporate Development
Major Roles & Responsibilities
The main responsibilities of the Head Corporate Finance/Development include:
- Leading the development of the long-term group financing strategy
- Supporting the CFO on approaches to funding, providing analytical advice for financial transactions and guidance on the economic evaluation of projects
- Leads fundraising/financing initiatives – vendor financing, debt/equity capital markets
- Coordinates Due diligence (e.g.; coordination of external consultants and in-depth business analysis)
- Supports deal structuring and execution
- Preparation of investment documentation (investment proposals, presentations, information memoranda, Prequalification memorandum, management presentation, term-sheets, etc.)
- Negotiates and structures financial transactions
- Liaises with all parties involved in financing transactions and assists with negotiations
- Assesses and predicts financial risks and returns
- Analyzes investment projects and presents guidance to members of Senior Management
- Develops Cost-Benefit framework to be used by Management to approve and prioritize expenditure.
- Participation in development of Debt policy
- Reports to the CFO with timely and accurate financial information
- Assists the CFO in presenting reports to senior executives, stakeholders, and board members
Financial Modelling/Tariff Design:
- Develops robust financial and operational model
- Uses financial modelling/forecasting to predict outcomes and provide business intelligence to stakeholders
- Provides group financial planning and analysis to support the development of budgets for funding planning.
- Leads the development and design of electricity tariff; supports Regulatory department in tariff negotiations with NERC
Corporate Development/Project Development:
- Analyzes the financial impacts on major decisions on the Group’s funding strategy, including project development, M&A, business development
- Supports development of partnerships with other companies that drive revenue.
- Leads/Supports business incubation/product innovation within the organization
- Supports business and product initiatives to ensure decisions are made with a datadriven framework.
- Reviews, analyzes, and supports various project development proposal (embedded power, franchising, other partnerships); leads substantive diligence and presentation support for proposed projects
- Identifies and assesses key profit drivers, risks and synergies related to potential projects
- Supports various business initiatives through data analysis, identification of implementation barriers and roll-out of solutions
- Leads the entire department, overseeing all activities of mid- to junior-analysts and ensuring proper execution of functions.
- Co-develops the budget processes (with Strategy & Planning), inclusive of periodic forecasting for the business and ensuring complete, accurate, and timely financial reporting.
- Mentors subordinate corporate finance personnel, encouraging their professional growth
- Articulates Financial Value Proposition of AED Plc’s Key Strategic Initiatives
- Determines the financial value proposition (i.e. investment required and resulting financial benefit) for each of AED Plc’s “high capital expenditure” strategic initiatives
- Advises on the prioritization of Strategic Initiatives from a financing perspective through detailed cost-benefit cash-flow analysis for each initiative
- Develops and maintains Company Financial Model Projections to clearly reflect financial impact of the strategic initiatives
- Develops Funding Options and Optimal Financing Structure, with a focus on on-and-off balance sheet obligations and corresponding financing terms
- Examines structuring options with a focus on cost implications (including tax leakages) and flexibility
- Identifies potential financiers aligned with funding strategy, including:
- Traditional commercial debt financing – banks and DFIs,
- Off balance sheet debt – asset based financing tied to vendors (input into AED Plc’s procurement program)
- Bond Issuance – issuing house/banks and institutional investors
- Equity injections – private placement
- Leading ad hoc financial analyses in order to assist management in the evaluation of the profitability of income streams as well as the potential for cost efficiencies. He/she further provides advice to other departments within the business on financially related issues. He/she additionally develops and leads (together with Planning department) weekly/monthly/annual/ financial planning processes in order to establish a department-wide corporate budget that is subsequently approved by the Chief Finance Officer
- The Head of Corporate Finance/Development performs similar duties as delegated by the Chief Finance Officer or the Employer.
Education, Experience & Technical Skills
- Degree in analytical field such as Accounting, Engineering, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, etc.
- 10 years relevant experience in investment banking and/or Corporate Finance Role
- Professional qualification is a plus (CFA, ICAN ACCA, etc.)
- Practical experience working in Finance and Commerce in the Electricity Distribution Industry is desirable
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint & Word
- Basic Database skills is a plus including familiarity with Microsoft Access & SQL
- A Business School degree is desirable (MBA etc.)
- Power sector experience is a plus, including understanding of the power sector challenges and issues and relevant regulatory bodies
- Knowledge of financial and management accounts
- The successful candidate will be able to impact at a senior management level.
- Ideally the candidate will have strong management experience and strong business acumen.
Other Required Competencies:
- Strategic thinking
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Good command of English
- Customer service oriented
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Only soft copy of applications will be treated.
How to Apply?
Please login to see application instructions.