Media Trust Limited is the publisher of Daily Trust and other newspaper titles. They are also into commercial printing as well as Brand Marketing Research for the purpose of identifying new opportunities for business values. Each market research report delivers insight across a wide range of crucial factors such as market size, growth drivers, competitive landscape, trends, and forecasts.
- The individual will be responsible for supporting the development and execution of the business strategy including business growth and partnership strategies
- The incumbent bears responsibility for the operational performance of Strategy & Business Development team and provides leadership and guidelines for staff activities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute strategic initiatives and frameworks to analyse the existing activity and come up with new market opportunities in all areas
- Lead and manage staff in the execution of the Department’s strategy projects, directives and objectives as dictated by the market’s needs
- Translate broad guidelines into specific operational plans and programmes
- Devise the creation and capture of incremental revenue opportunities for the company
- Creation of all phases of a business case (e.g. market analysis, value proposition, strategic fit, economic models and launch) to support a new initiative
- Develop the financial and economic models that support the assessment and underlying valuation of potential opportunities i.e. market sizing, financial forecasts as well as additional financial analysis as appropriate
- Collate and document the company’s strategic business plans
- Monitor the implementation of the company’s, short, medium- and long-term strategic goals and objectives
- Develop, communicate and manage relevant business/financial models to assist with management decision making
- Continually review and assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the department’s policies, procedures and processes and identify improvement opportunities in line with the corporate strategy of the company
- Coordinate the assessment and monitoring of industry/competitor activities, new developments and identify impact on company’s operations
- Achieve key expenditures/transactions of the department in line with approved budget
- Identify and cultivate internal and external sources to build a common fact base for analysing the market and company’s competition, especially pertaining to the above subject matter area
- Analyse and report on key market trends, potential market discontinuities and new business opportunities and pass feedback to the CEO
- Provide leadership and guidance to subordinates
- Prepare periodic management reports on the activities of the department
- Perform other roles/task as required by the CEO.
Qualification and Experience
- Minimum of a Degree in Business, Management or a relevant discipline. A Master's Degree or an MBA will be an added advantage;
- Minimum of 15 years cognate experience with at least 5 years at management level in a large/multinational operational environment or in the print media.
- Membership of relevant professional bodies is important.
- Should have or cultivate a combination of consumer and business insight experience, coupled with brand strategy expertise on major brands in the industry.
Skills and Competencies:
- Extensive professional experience with in-depth understanding of the media industry both in print and digital;
- A track record of building credibility in the business community with positive results for the business;
- A commitment to and understanding of the company’s offerings (products and services) and mission, preferably based on experience;
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, board of directors and staff;
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask;
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of the company’s customers, employees and other stakeholders.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.