Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
- This position is based in Damaturu, Yobe State and reports directly to the Sector Manager-Social Protection.
- The Gender Officer will lead and support the implementation of all gender equality and mainstreaming initiatives and strategies funded by ECHO in the mission.
Task and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and ensures implementation of Action Against Hunger minimum standards on Gender mainstreaming in humanitarian and in development projects in Nigeria mission.
- Support capacity building for project teams and organizational development for local government stakeholders.
- Leads and conduct gender analysis, technical studies, assessments on gender in social protection projects.
- Provides technical input on Gender mainstreaming and/or coordinate technical support on gender sensitive programming in WASH, nutrition, social protection sectors with relevant sector specialists if required.
- Leads in integrating gender into MEAL processes in operation areas; setting of specific indicators for process monitoring and follow up that, advising team in getting gender specific information through spot monitoring and Post Distribution Monitoring (PDM) process,
- Initiates innovative documentation process to capture learning and changes, support team to get sex, age and gender disaggregating data.
- Supports local stakeholders in organizing and carrying out advocacy and campaign for greater gender equality and equity in social protection programmes.
- Engages with state and local women’s rights organizations and mobilize collective voice around gender discrimination in the post conflict setting.
- Take the initiative to understand the logical framework and review the Gender mainstreaming indicators (LFA) of the ECHO project accordingly.
- Ensure the compilation of need/feasibility assessments and related reports. These reports must be well synthesized, documented and transmitted to the Sector Manager Social protection and the Multi sectoral PM.
- Contribute ideas based on field experiences in informing gender equality and equity and Training manuals as requested.
- Responsible for supervising and quality assurance of all Gender equality and mainstreaming interventions in a given LGA of intervention.
- Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences, Sender Studies, or any related field.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in design, development and management of gender Equality in social protections programme including a minimum of 1 year in a field coordination role.
- Proved experience in displacement and durables solutions contexts.
- Well-developed knowledge and understanding of protection principles, gender mainstreaming and women’s rights, in areas of early recovery and resilience building.
- Demonstrated experience of working in collaboration with local partners and government institutions;
- Well-developed analytical and strategic planning skills with the ability to influence the wider programme strategy;
- Demonstrated experience of conducting trainings, and providing capacity building to local partners and beneficiaries on gender issues;
- Able to work under time pressure and long hours whenever required.
- Resilience, flexibility and adaptability to work successfully under stressful conditions.
- A high level of social-cultural sensitivity when dealing with colleagues, partners and beneficiaries.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and tact, in order to be able to liaise effectively with a range of stakeholders, including NGO partners, community leaders and government officials;
- An ability for creative problem solving and innovation in complex and /or restrictive working environments
- User level computer literacy (Office Package, Outlook, etc.)
- Willingness to travel and reside in rural, remote and insecure areas in Yobe.
- Fluency in Hausa, English and Kanuri will be an added advantage.
- Commitment to Action Against Hunger mission, values and policy.
- Advert may close before the due date, once we have received applications from qualified candidates
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.