Ref. nr.: 3962216517
Project Number: NGFM1801 & NGFM1802
- NRC is looking for a Finance Technical Assistant for our area office in Maiduguri in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the Finance Technical Assistant is to support programme activities in Maiduguri and in the field offices
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja.
- NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and Education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
Role and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the official position is day to day implementation of the support functions responsibilities. Use actions words such as ensure, implement or assist for the position relevant responsibilities.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to a plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, the phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention:
- Take a day to day responsibility of managing petty cash and cash box.
- Take a day to day responsibility of managing cheque payments.
- Maintain up to date records, project accounts on the system to ensure that timely, accurate and appropriate information is available and reported.
- Preparation of payment vouchers for cash and cheques and ensure timely settlement of all undisputed invoices.
- assist the finance officer to perform cash and bank reconciliation.
- Ensure daily, weekly, monthly and periodic cash count is done
- Assist Finance officer in tracking advance and ensure that clearance of advance is done on time.
- Ensure that all support documents are complete and accurate before the financial transaction is done.
- Preferably a Degree in Finance, Economics or any other related course
- Ability to work as a member of the team
- Experience working in an accounting department (preferably NGO)
- Willingness to be flexible and respond in a timely manner to support colleague when the need arises.
- Handling an insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- A good sense of humor is an asset
- These are skills, knowledge, and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic Professional Competencies:
- Experience from working as a Support Function Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Some knowledge of English
Context/Specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Good in oral and written English.
- Knowledge of language (should be fluent in Kanuri and Hausa)
- Good knowledge of the North – Eastern Nigeria context
- Minimum of University Degree in Finance, Economics, and any other related course.
- High level of honesty, integrity, and transparency.
- Ability to interact with National and International staff.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately to meet the deadline.
- Communicating with impact and respect
- The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- An approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
Application Procedures and CV Registration
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV.
- There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.