Principal Duties & Responsibilities
Key Result Areas (What)
- (What are the key activities undertaken to achieve the desired end results?)
- Budget Planning, Monitoring and Control
- Coordinate the budgeting process, ensuring inputs from all units are in compliance with stated guidelines and that exceptions are escalated appropriately.
- Support all teams to implement robust planning, budgeting and forecasting.
- General Ledger
- Oversee the update of all financial records as appropriate, including invoices, vendor accounts, fixed assets, inventory and other GL accounts.
- Manage the organization’s general ledger and ensure all transactions are processed in line with stated and acceptable accounting principles.
- On a weekly basis, reconcile and maintain balance sheet accounts and bank statements. Follow up to ensure proper resolution of any issues identified.
- Prepare monthly General Ledger entries & detailed account analyses to properly represent financial transactions; perform monthly analyses of balance sheet and expense accounts for submission to Management
- Assume primary responsibility for periodic (monthly and quarterly) closing activities.
Growth & Cash Management
- Prepare financial projections in line with short and long term plans of the organization.
- Identify viable high yield investment opportunities for savings and investing unused funds
- Protect the bottom-line of the organization by reducing costs and ensuring that all incurred expenses pass the WREN (Wholly, Reasonably, Exclusively and Necessarily) test.
- Oversee the preparation of periodic (weekly, monthly and quarterly) financial and management reports for use by management for strategic decision making.
- Review statement of financial position for accuracy and compliance with disclosure requirements stipulated by relevant accounting standards
- Ensure the accounting software is up to date and used in processing day to day transactions
- Review, interpret and apply fixed assets policies to fixed asset transactions including purchase, valuation, revaluation, accruals and disposal.
- Maintain fixed assets records and ensure accurate upload of all fixed assets in the fixed assets register.
- Record depreciation of fixed assets in line with accounting policies and standards.
- Review and reconcile fixed assets register on a monthly basis
- Carry out a supervisory role in ensuring accuracy in the recording of all collections and prompt submission of reports to Management
- Ensure timely bank operations (cash & cheque deposits)
- Set up controls to minimize risks, fraud and loss of organizational assets
- Prepare for and provide support to auditors in year-end audit exercises.
- Ensure a high-functioning internal control system around all financial transactions and book-keeping.
- Statutory payments & Returns
- Ensure statutory remittances as at when due- Pensions, PAYE, WHT and ensure prompt filing of returns
- Keep abreast of statutory laws and impact with a view to advising management towards implementation
- Tax Administration
- Oversee the preparation of tax schedules (WHT, PAYE etc.) and remit tax to the relevant tax authorities in a timely manner.
- Compute accurately and file all tax returns including related reports to ensure compliance with all tax laws and regulations.
- Maintain all records of taxation activities and related balance sheet activity including tax liabilities and payments, and provide adequate proof of remittances for tax audit exercises.
- Ensure supporting documents, records and schedules are sufficient to meet audit/regulatory requirements.
- Invoice Processing
- Ensure registration of all received invoices on accounting software and assign proper account codes.
- Match invoices to purchase orders and/or payment vouchers before processing to ensure consistency; identify and resolve errors/discrepancies/irregularities.
- Proactively note and inform line manager or relevant team member of any irregularity in invoices/bills from third party.
- Validate invoices and claims with the appropriate parties, endorse for payment processing, and forward for approval to the authorised personnel
- Advance Payment
- Process vendor advance payment in line with TEC’s policies.
- Review staff advance requests and supporting documents and ensure advance requisitions are made for only bona fide organisation expenditure and approved by authorized personnel. Ensure all advances are properly and promptly retired.
- Process staff loans and personnel advance requests promptly and accurately, ensuring appropriate approvals have been obtained.
- Maintain accurate records of all staff advance requests, fulfilment, retirements and outstanding balances.
- Relationship Management
- Oversee preparation of correspondences to banks and other parties
- Management of existing relationships with all external stakeholders
- Attend to and resolve issues with internal parties, auditors, banks, congregants and vendors
- Activity report demonstrating effort to complete processing of all material payments and transfers and showing any unresolved issues
- Weekly & Monthly
- Offering Reports
- GL Reconciliation statement
- Bank reconciliation statement
- Tax remittance statement
- Management reports on business performance
- Treasury Analysis and Cash Forecasts
Skills and Knowledge
(Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours required to succeed in role)
- Bachelor's or higher degree in Accounting or Finance.
- A Masters's degree is an advantage.
- CFA, CIMA, ACCA or ACA qualified
- Relevant Experience (Type and minimum years expected)
- 8+ years accounting/finance experience with proven track record in a supervisory capacity
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Hands on practical experience with the use of SAGE accounting software
- Attitude and Behavioural Traits
- Strong understanding of accounting theory
- Knowledge of Statutory accounting principles
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service focus