Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And its girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood.
Dimensions of Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and with partners and related government institutions. The post holder will contribute towards grant and financial management of the office and programmes, interfacing with both operational and programme team members.
- The post holder will also contribute towards the organisational development of Plan International’s implementing partners:
- Budgets - Monitor the budget of all GIZ Projects.
- Reporting -Support financial reporting on the GIZ Projects.
- Area of Responsibility - All the GIZ Projects.
- Assist with the grants set-up in SAP.
- Support the full cycle of grants management activities beginning from pre-award assessments, monitoring/compliance visits and close-out procedures.
- Track grantee contractual obligations, e.g., pre-award conditions
- Support the Finance & Grants Manager - Humanitarian and project managers to prepare the annual grants budgets for all GIZ projects.
- Support the KP06 budget preparation and periodic upload in SAP.
Capacity Building and Support:
- Provide technical assistance in terms of accounting (use of SAP), financial management, financial policy formulation, and systems of internal control to all partners/grantees to ensure compliance in terms with donor rules and regulations.
- Support the assessments of partner/grantee organizations as directed by the Finance & Grants Coordinator and the Finance & Grants Manager-Humanitarian.
- Review partner budgets and provide assistance and guidance where necessary including the monitoring and interpretation of project budgets versus actual expenditures.
- Support, train staff and partners on donor policies, rules and regulations.
- Facilitate timely partner advance request and liquidation in SAP.
- Review Partners/grantee liquidation and recommend for approval.
- Conduct and document regular partner visits to ensure compliance with grant agreement.
- Ensure receipt of timely and accurate accounting and financial reports from partners.
- Monitor the partner burn rate and offer timely advice to the partner and programs team for prompt action and decision-making.
- Monitor and track grants related performance measurement indicators and liaise with Finance & Grants Coordinator to implement strategies to improve performance.
- Explain donor requirements and organizational financial policy & procedures to staff and ensure compliance.
- Prepare and review on a monthly basis, donor-specific bank reconciliation statements and receipts/deposits reconciliations.
- Support the preparation of financial reports based on donor requirements.
- Ensure proper filing (electronic and hard copy) of grants financial reports.
- Periodically update the financial reporting matrix.
- Ensure that partners use the standard reporting templates and formats for their reports.
- Prepare monthly GIZ Projects burn rate - expenditure traffic tracker.
- Prepare monthly GIZ Projects cost recovery tracker.
- Support the preparation of all GIZ Projects funding/grant tracker.
- Prepare all GIZ Projects expenditure tracker.
- Support the CO in recharging costs to GIZ Projects.
- Fulfill Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times.
- Ensure that filing of travel advances, per diem calculations and travel reconciliation forms are reviewed;
- Ensure that all travel and purchase advances are liquidated on time.
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the Finance & Grants Coordinator and/or the Finance & Grants Manager-Humanitarian.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Degree in Accounting or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in donor funds grants administration.
- Experience working with sub-grantees required.
- Fluency in local language and English required.
- Preferred qualifications: knowledge of and experience with the key donors in the industry is strongly preferred.
- Experience providing capacity development assistance to sub-grantees strongly preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent and demonstrable experience in grant and financial management.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s policy environment
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including good listening skills, influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships and to work effectively in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment respecting diversity.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders.
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity.
- Provides good and adequate support to enable programmes to meet its agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organizational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations.
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others.
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning.