Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
- Under the supervision and with the support of the Country Director, the Field Coordinator is the hierarchical manager of all staff and shares by delegation the same responsibilities as the Country Director in his area:
- He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone
- He/she is the Head of Mission's direct contact and representative.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- To monitor the general intervention in Dikwa
- To work in coordination with the Meal Coordinator in the analysis of the data
- To supervise the starting of new project OFDA
- The main challenges of the position are:
- Management: The team is composed by 27 national staffs and 2 international staffs (Field Coordinator and wash PM)
- Context: The specificity and difficulty of the context implies challenges in the carry on of the daily logistics activities
- Contractors: SI’s activities are sometimes requiring strong technical skills and heavy machinery (borehole drillings…). Thus, SI has to rely on contractors to conduct those works which should be very closely monitored
- Context monitoring: there is little vision on what is happening outside Dikwa however a lot of displaced people keep arriving in the area which is why we are seeking someone with a strong capacity to analyze humanitarian needs and capable of suggesting unplanned interventions to respond to those needs
- 5 years of professional humanitarian experience, including a minimum of 2 years at a similar position (at least 1 year international position)
- Proven experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts and insecure environments
- Previous experience in Wash activities
- Previous experience of project management in NGO / humanitarian fields
- Previous experience in report and proposal writing
- Experience of team management and capacity building
- Knowledge of HR, budget and logistics management
- Good communication and diplomatic skills
- Good organization skills
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Strong capacity to take initiatives
- Fluent English (written, spoken and read), essential for writing proposals and reports and for external coordination and representation meetings with other NGOs, UN agencies, donors and governmental bodies.
- Patience, autonomy, flexibility and the ability to adapt are indispensable skills.
- Good computer skills
- The Field Coordinator lives in SI compound with the other international staff. He/she has private room. There are a dozen other NGOs in the area but Si is the only NGO with international staff.
A salaried post:
- According to experience, starting from 2860 euros gross per month (2600 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
- +100€/year of humanitarian experience at the same position
- +50€/year of experience at a humanitarian position which has helped to reach the current level and a monthly Per Diem
- SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of origin and the place of assignment.
- During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time-off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 750 USD allocated by Solidarités). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarités will cover travel costs).
Social and medical cover:
- Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.