Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
- The role is positioned in the operations unit based within the Nigeria Country team. This role supports the smooth running of the operations unit with primary focus on smooth and effective facility management.
- It supports in the management of Christian Aid’s property, maintenance of building, health and safety and supports the process of securing various contracts with suppliers, service providers, consultants in line with Christian Aid’s guidelines.
- Overseeing the upkeep of equipment and supplies, conduct and document regular facilities inspections, coordinate intra-office equipment movement and ensure adequate documentation.
- Make sure the buildings and grounds; offices, guesthouse and warehouses are maintained, which entails daily and weekly cleaning schedules as well as determining and scheduling repairs, renovation projects, waste reduction improvements and safety inspections. This includes developing and implementing a facility management program including preventative maintenance, life-cycle requirements and supervising of maintenance/ repair of facilities/ equipment.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety standards as well as Christian Aid’s guidelines for facility maintenance.
- Plan and manage facility central services such as cleaning, waste disposal and parking
- Work closely with Procurement Committee to obtain quotes and tenders from vendors and suppliers for repairs while ensuring value for money, calculate and compare costs for goods and services to maximize cost-effectiveness
- Review performance service contracts to ensure facility management needs are being met
- Check completed work by contractors and vendors on facilities before issuance of job completion notes.
- Generate and prepare monthly report on status of Christian Aid’s facilities in the Humanitarian response.
- Oversee environmental health and safety, security of the facilities and respond to requests accordingly.
- Promptly attend to all facility related issues as they arise.
- External External suppliers and service providers, consultants, Artisans etc.
- Internal Providing timely support to the Humanitarian staff in Maiduguri and the sub offices in terms of facilities management. Working closely with all employees within Christian Aid.
- The ability to make day to day decisions to support in office operation with guidance from the Senior Operations Coordinator.
- Ability to analyse information, situation and proactively take steps to addressing or preventing loss or damage.
Developing self and others :
- Responsible for managing own workload in accordance with priorities. Works closely with teams to understand support needs and set up mechanisms to deliver on support needs.
- Degree in any related field from recognized institution (Facilities Management, Engineering or Management or Business Studies).
- At least 3 -4 years relevant post NYSC experience in related role.
- Experience of managing health, safety, facilities and premises
- Ability to handle multiple demands (multi task).
- Willingness and flexibility to meet the changing requirements of the job.
- Proven ability to prepare reports and maintain complete files and records.
- High level of computer literacy (Word and Excel essential)
- Ability to prioritize within a multi- tasking environment
- Prior experience in a similar role in an NGO is an added advantage
- Membership of relevant professional body/ holds trade qualification in a relevant field.
- Previous exposure to performance management of suppliers/vendors via Service Level Agreements (SLAs) or Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
IT competency required
LEVEL 2 - You are expected to be able to:
- Take on different work when necessary to achieve a team or organisational goal.
- Actively consult with others to ensure you understand their needs or goals.
- Listen to and take on board fresh perspectives and views even if you initially disagree with them.
- Maintain on-going relationships with individuals and contacts through networks, based on mutual rapport and respect.
- Make complex things simple for the benefit of others.
- Actively listen and question to check your understanding and draw out others when they are not expressing themselves clearly or seem to be holding back.
- Be sensitive to what others may be feeling, based on what they say, how they say it and their non-verbal behaviour, adapting your style and approach to fit.
- Address difficult issues when they arise, being honest and open.
- Implement ways to reduce the inefficient use of resources or pass the ideas on to someone who can make them happen.
- Estimate the resources needed to achieve your own work plans or objectives and to deliver them in the most efficient and cost-effective way.
- Set and communicate realistic timelines for achieving tasks, working out how best to adapt as priorities change or unforeseen circumstances arise.
- Prioritise, plan and monitor own work to meet own and team deliverables to agreed performance or quality standards.
- Acknowledge others’ priorities whilst being prepared to say “no” if there are genuine reasons why their needs cannot be met.
- Use logical processes and relevant tools and techniques to report on information or analyse options.
- Make timely and considered recommendations or decisions based on analysis of available data, information and evidence.
- Evaluate your own work and actively address gaps in knowledge and skills, without prompting.
- Recognise how you react to feedback and manage reactions positively, acting on specific feedback from others.
- Share your knowledge where it will help others to be more effective.
- Provide instruction, constructive feedback and guidance to others to help them learn.
Strive for Improvement:
- Constructively challenge existing practice.
- Seek better ways of doing things, considering the possible implications.
- Make positive suggestions on a way forward when faced with challenges even if these falls outside own scope of work.
- Look inside and outside Christian Aid for new ideas and evaluate them for own work
- Salary (full time): N3,187,627