Labour and Employee Relations:
- Establishes good cordial working relationship with the Union at both local and national levels, as well as host community representatives
- Manages the administration of the Employee Engagement Survey
- Analyses results & completes brief for management
- Follow up on action points decided.
- Coordinate employee benefit initiatives
- Monitors overtime & brings to the attention of the Head of HR, major deviations in trend.
- Tracks achievement & payment on all incentive programs
- Maintains & updates the manpower plan (organogram) for the organization
- Ensures maintenance of updated job descriptions for all employees in the organization
- Ensures that organization charts for each division are always up-to-date
HR Policy Development/Compliance:
- Ensures that services provided by third-party suppliers are reviewed/renewed in a timely manner prior to contract expiry
- Responsible for maintenance of the HR policy manual in a completely updated manner & for the posting of policy amendments after communication is made of these amendments by HOHR
- Prepares all HR policy documents for authorization
- Prepares a report on compliance to both HR & business policy on a monthly basis for review by HR & Management teams
Employee Grievance & Discipline:
- Manages employee grievances & ensures that these are resolved in a timely manner according to the policy.
- Develops or maintains the violation matrix and ensures it is used to administrate all disciplinary matters including safety violations.
- Schedules the Performance Management end to end process
- Ensures staff are appropriately trained by scheduling communication sessions
- Reviews forms for completion in accordance with policy when submitted & ensures completion
- Summarizes key discussion points for Head of Human Resources
- Ensures objectives are set in SMART format
- Compiles information on performance calibration
- Does complete analysis for all staff on the pay for performance system on completion of the assessment process
- Set up and monitor the Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) for low performers
- Manage the administration of the recruitment tools (LI/PI), while holding the responsibility of maintaining their integrity.
- Manages relations with host communities especially with regards to transparent recruitment.
- Schedules and conducts interviews professionally, identifying appropriate, qualified personnel to HR management and hiring managers.
- Reviews the preparation of employment contracts, ensuring that information is timely and accurate.
- Preparation of PDP’s in conjunction with the line manager.
- Reviews PDP's & other documents for analyzing training needs
- Ensures every employee is covered by the approved company’s medical scheme for their categories
- Vets all medical bills prior to Head of HR’s approval
- Ensures NSITF compliance
REPORTING AND SCOPE
(IPE Factor: Knowledge-Teams & Breadth):
- This position reports to the Head of Human Resources
- The scope of this position is predominantly domestic.
WORK/BUSINESS CONTACTS AND AUTHORITY
(IPE Factor: Communication)
- Staff at the terminal in different departments
- Host communities’ representatives
- ITF, Training institutions & providers
- Pension Fund Administrators
- Labour regulatory authorities
- HR consultants
- Union Officials
(IPE Factor: Knowledge)
- Requires university degree preferably in Human Resources or Behavioural Sciences.
- Minimum of 6 years post-NYSC experience in Human Resource, 4 years in a managerial position.
- HRCI, SHRM and ACIPM certification is a MUST.
- Ability to manage a team
- Must have STRONG ANALYTICAL skills, including the ability to extract, compile and analyze data.
- Requires strong interpersonal, verbal/written communication and negotiation skills.
- Must be able to exercise discretion and good judgment, with an ability to understand the effect of decisions overall in the company.
- Must be able to handle confidential company and employee information with complete discretion.
- HRIS, competence is required.
- Must be familiar with labor and employment laws and practices.
- Must have a broad knowledge of various international human resources standards in the areas of compensation, employee relations, general benefits, employment, and staffing practices.
- Requires knowledge to review and interpret the survey and other data.
- Must be able to work effectively with all levels of employees, including top, middle and supervisory levels of management.
- It requires a collaborative work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork.
LEARNING & CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
- In this position, the incumbent will have an opportunity to acquire skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Exposure to HR Practices in the maritime industry, specifically in terminal operations
Relevant next career steps might be:
- Head, Human Resources role
- Functional role at either regional or global level