As an early years teacher, you'll be concerned with helping children to achieve early learning goals.
You'll need to:
- Motivate and stimulate a child's learning abilities, often encouraging learning through experience
- Provide pastoral care and support to children and give them a secure learning environment
- assist with the development of a child's personal, social, language and physical coordination abilities
- develop and produce visual aids and teaching resources
- encourage mathematical and creative development through stories, songs, games, drawing and imaginative play
- help children develop curiosity and knowledge
- work with others, including teaching assistants and nursery nurses as well as volunteer helpers, to plan and coordinate work both indoors and outdoors
- share knowledge gained with other practitioners and build and maintain relationships with parents
- observe, assess and record each child's progress
- ensure the health and safety of children and staff is maintained during all activities, both inside and outside the nursery or school
- keep up to date with changes in the curriculum and developments in best practice.
- For teaching roles you will need to show:
- Respect and fondness for children
- excellent communication and listening skills
- good organisational skills to plan the children's day and respond to children's different needs
- the ability to inspire and enthuse young children
- energy, resourcefulness, responsibility, patience and a caring nature
- an understanding of the needs and feelings of children
- ability to work independently with children, as well as being able to work in the wider nursery/school team
- a sense of humour and the ability to keep things in perspective.
- You'll also need the stamina to keep up with the needs and energy of a large group of young, lively children. Creative skills such as music, dance, drama, arts and crafts are advantageous.
- B.Ed Early Years Education, BEd in a teaching subject but with 4-5 years and above experience
- Montessori training and background is an added advantage.
- Also, experience teaching in British Curriculum setup