Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other healthcare providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
- Under the supervision of the fleet assistant, the driver is in charge of :
- Transporting goods and people safely with MdM procedures
- Ensure the daily and weekly maintenance of his vehicle.
- Check that all administrative formalities are up to date
- The roving driver must ensure he is readily available in case of emergency for fast intervention
Drive The vehicle allocated to him in accordance with the rules of the road safety applicable in Nigeria. The driver will adapt his speed according to the state of the road, its loading and the approach of the populations. The speed limit in the city is 30 Km/hour in the open road 80 km/ Hour and in the High way 100 km/hour:
- NB: The driver is responsible for the safety of any property or persons on board in his vehicle. He may be held liable in the event of an accident if he has not followed the procedures.
- MdM is a humanitarian aid organization working in remote areas where the passage of vehicles is rare, it requires the driver to respect the population and increase his attention during his stay in the villages (dust, puddle) and children not used to seeing vehicles.
Carry out the daily check of his vehicle:
- Fluid levels of the vehicle: water, oil, brake fluid, etc.
- State of the tires,
- The visual appearance of the engine, steering, battery,
- Light control
- Control of the vehicle tools
- Control of the First Aid kit
- Carry out routine maintenance of the vehicle:
- Vehicle cleaning (indoor and outdoor)
- Cleaning the battery lugs
- Check and tighten the bolts if necessary
- Lubrication, etc.
- Notify the Deputy log base one week before the date of the maintenance of his vehicle and perform the check after the services and repairs to know if they were done properly.
Carry out and verify that the vehicle loads are correct (packaging, fasteners, quantity, delivery note:
- The driver is responsible for the loading of the vehicle and he can be held responsible for loss/damage of goods during transport.
- Complete the Log Book daily.
- Respect MdM procedures for all types of transport:
- Vehicle Movement request (identify destination and travel time)
- Always have the following documents: driver's license, vehicle papers, insurance, Mission Order, etc Check their validity before departure.
- Check and maintain the tools box present in his vehicle (signature of the equipment list when picking up the vehicle)
Immediately inform the Fleet assistant or the Log Base in case of:
- Mechanical problems
- Security issues
NB: The driver must make a complete inventory of the situation and refer to the instructions given by his supervisor:
- If for any reason, a driver is obliged to use his vehicle when he needs repair or it violates the safety rules, he must note it in the "remarks" part of the book maintenance and have it signed by the person in charge obliging him to use his vehicle, in order to free himself from the responsibility in case of possible problems.
- The driver is responsible for renewing his driving license
- Leave only when passengers have fastened their seatbelt
- Respect the Code of the Road
- Maintain radio contact with the base when moving
- Inquire about the safety situation of roads before traveling
- Check and notify the assistant log when there is a problem with HF radio.
- Turn off the HF radio before starting or shutting off the vehicle engine
- Prohibit passengers in the back of pickups and trucks. (If transport obligation, ask authorization to the zone manager).
Formal prohibition to transport all persons armed or in military uniform in MdM vehicles:
- Any transport of persons outside the organization is prohibited (except authorization of the base Logistician. In case of emergency and impossibility of communication, the driver can take this responsibility. He will have to report as soon as he arrives at the base with the logistics supervisor.
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties
- Inform immediately the security focal point in case of any security problem
- Perform other additional duties on request of the country representative and Log base
- Because of the emergency relief nature of MDM’s work, working hours may be irregular and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.