John Snow Incorporated (JSI) is a public health research and technical assistant firm dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. It manages the USAID/DELIVER PROJECT and the Supply Chain Management System (SCMS) project in the Nigeria office.
- In Nigeria the CH TF will facilitate, in collaboration with global and country stakeholders and through the Child Health Technical Working Group (CH TWG), the development of a new model of providing technical assistance that is effective, systematic delivery of country-driven technical assistance (TA). An assessment of these approaches, including conceptual and operational considerations, will be disseminated to child health stakeholders to inform future planning of technical assistance.
- The national consultant will support the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and stakeholders to jointly co-design the new model of providing technical assistance.
The consultant’s key tasks include:
- Conduct a rapid review and synthesis of strategic documents to identify priorities, progress made and gaps to achieve child health targets based on the 2030 vision
- Contribute to developing assessment tool(s) to collect information from key child health stakeholders about issues with technical assistance for planning and implementing child health programs
- Support the HCD consultants to identify, make appointments and conduct interviews with key informants about technical assistance
- Support and co-facilitate, with human centered design experts, four workshop(s) with members of the national Child Health technical working group (CH TWG) and selected stakeholders (e.g. major donors in CH at national and state level)
- Facilitate the MOH, national CH TWG, and CH TF to implement the new technical assistance model and document the approach(es)
- Facilitate the CH TWG to plan joint process appraisal to review progress, identify bottlenecks and problem solve. It is anticipated that this will be incorporated into scheduled meetings of the CHTWGs.
- Support and contribute to the documentation of all activities and outcomes related to TA re-design in Nigeria.
- Coordinate with the local team responsible for FMOH/stakeholder workshop logistics and support.
- The consultant will not work full time, but will engage with the CH TWGs at strategic points of the design and implementation process.
Deliverables (Timelines for specific activities to be determined):
- TBD - Inception report and draft timeline (developed in coordination with, HCD team and CH TF project advisory committee)
- TBD - Develop assessment tools in collaboration with HCD consultants
- TBD - Final synthesis report of Nigeria national 2030 Vision
- TBD - First workshop report with clearly articulated next steps
- TBD - Workshop reports with clear milestones and next steps
- TBD - New Technical Assistance model
- TBD - Final process documentation; September 2019; Evaluation report
- Required Skills, Level of Effort (LOE) and Rate
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Master’s degree in Public Health or equivalent
- Ability to communicate effectively and to facilitate group processes
- Track record of using participatory methods in public health
- Capacity building of multi-stakeholder partnerships and engagement
- Experience in child health programming and knowledge of Nigeria health system and partners
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills
- Language: English
The ToR should include:
- Proposal with a brief description of the intended process to comply with the deliverables included in the TOR
- Schedule of assignment and time frame for the production of the deliverables
- CV and letter of motivation
- Include the title of the assignment in the subject section of the email forwarding the above documents.