About The Position
- We are seeking for suitably qualified applicants for the position of Community Engagement Officer, Nigeria, who will be part of the CIVIC Nigeria program team. This is a full-time position.
- The Community Engagement officer will provide subject matter technical knowledge on issues faced by communities affected by the conflict in northeast Nigeria.
- The post holder will have representation responsibilities, working with communities/civilians, government and security force representatives, police, and other security actors, as well as CSOs/NGOs/INGOs located in the northeast.
- The Community Engagement Officer will develop, facilitate and support CIVIC’s community engagement efforts on civilian protection and outreach capabilities through community self-protection workshops and civil-military dialogues as well as military and vigilante group workshops.
- The Community Engagement Officer will lead CIVIC’s efforts to mobilize communities across Northeastern Nigeria to strengthen community self-protection mechanisms, to create platforms for improved civilian-military relations, to conduct field research on civilian security issues, and to lead a Protection Network and related advocacy campaigns aimed at increasing the understanding and commitment to civilian protection and harm mitigation by all groups, including local government officials, security forces, self-defense groups
- Work with Team Lead Northeast, Community Engagement officer and other pertinent staff to design, manage, and implement community programs in support of CIVIC’s Nigeria program;
- Travel regularly (with CIVIC staff and alone) across northeastern Nigeria to mobilize support for CIVIC’s work, especially in communities;
- Support the team’s efforts to convene civilian protection committees;
- Support, in close coordination with the team, civilian efforts to develop self-protection strategies;
- Build strong relations with local officials, community-based and civil society organizations and like-minded INGOs;
- Support research and drafting of publications (reports, briefing papers, etc) and advocacy materials promoting CIVIC’s Nigeria work;
- Strategize and implement ways for programming to reflect the different protection needs of women, men, girls, boys, including those with disabilities, and increase their voice and influence around protection issues
- As advised by line Manager, represent CIVIC with NGO networks and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships, especially in Borno; and
- Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals.
- B.A. in International Affairs, Political Science, Social Sciences, or related area; Masters level preferred;
- Minimum 5-7 years relevant full-time staff level work experience required, including work in active and/or recently active conflict zones and experience in community engagement, training, field research, advocacy, and project management;
- Experience in northeastern Nigeria and the Lake Chad Region;
- Demonstrated strong work ethic;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team; and
- English language fluency mandatory. Advanced proficiency in Hausa and Kanuri languages is required.
Skills and Experience:
- Well organized, collaborative, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize, manage, and plan their work even in unstable environments;
- Deep knowledge of Nigeria including related to humanitarian and security issues;
- In depth understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Ability to network extensively and build partnerships with community leaders and civil society organizations in sensitive political and security environments;
- Effective in participatory facilitation, community organizing, advocacy, and leadership development;
- Knowledge and experience in working in gender transformation and disability inclusive ways;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a complex atmosphere;
- Willingness and experience working with security forces and understanding of the military/civilian/humanitarian spaces;
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills; and
- Skilled communicator, presenter, training facilitator, and bridge builder with communities in conflict, civilians, and security audiences.