international Potato Center (CIP): CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweet potato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high-quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 Research Centers and 16 Research Programs mostly located in the developing word and supported by more than 50 donor members. The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture on behalf of CIP seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at the CIP project location in Abuja:
About the Program
- WINNN is designed to support the piloting of a set of evidence-based nutrition-specific interventions; micro-nutrient supplementation, community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM), infant and young child feeding (IYCF) counselling, and to support the institutionalization of the interventions within routine health care.
- The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit an agronomist/seed system specialist Project Associate (PA) to implement ‘Nutrition Sensitive Kitchen Garden Interventions with Orange-fleshed Sweetpotato (OFSP) and Other Vegetables under ‘Working to Improve Nutrition in Northern Nigeria (WINNN) Program’. This PA will be based in Jigawa State, with occasional training and supervision duties in Yobe State.
- She/he will work under the supervision of the CIP Country Manager (WINNN-Kitchen Garden Coordinator) and co-report to the WINNN Deputy Chief of Party.
- The overall goal of this orange-fleshed sweetpotato (OFSP) led garden product project is to improve food and nutrition security and livelihoods for women and children, especially improved diet diversity in two of the five WINNN states implementing during the cost extension period.
- The project seeks to catalyze broad support for OFSP and its use in strategic initiatives including Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) program (first cohort), mothers/care givers of recovered Severe and Acute Malnourished (SAM) clients in small scale food processing, school feeding, and wheat import substitution in commercial food processing in this region.
The successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Develop a communication strategy and plan for the project;
- Develop and design IEC materials to a different targeted audience of the project;
- Work with local media to create awareness on the nutritional benefits of homestead kitchen gardens;
- Produce video teaching aid on the selected crop planting and processing for beneficiaries’ use;
- Work with Agricultural and IYCF counsellors to facilitate training of beneficiaries on the production and processing of the selected nutritious foods in the kitchen gardens;
- Train the WINNN project IYCF support group members and recovered SAM mothers/care givers to use OFSP and other selected nutritious crops to process bioavailable nutritious foods for improved nutrition and livelihoods;
- Create awareness, sensitize and educate communities and the beneficiary groups on OFSP and nutritious foods in the two selected states;
- Create demand, identify and link markets for OFSP in the two selected states for improved livelihoods of the beneficiaries;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- B.Sc/HND in Mass Communication or related field with minimum of three (3) years’ experience performing same or related role.
- Proficient in English language.
- Strong inter-personal/cultural & communication skill.
- We offer a highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application
- Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.