The African Talent Company seeks qualified candidates in Nigeria to fill this Role
The Chief Accountant (CA) is directly responsible for managing the activities of the Accounting unit,
reconciliation unit, financial control & reporting unit and supervises all its’ staff. S/he is responsible
for the efficient discharge of the Accounting function within the bank; smooth running of the Accounts
department, compliance with all applicable regulatory pronouncements, internal procedures and
IFRS, prompt identification and mitigation of applicable risks. S/he is responsible for developing and maintaining a high level of staff efficiency, professional standards and best practices within the
Finance and Accounts Department. S/he participates in making decisions on material issues related to his/her area of competency.
Together with the CFO, the position will be responsible for achieving the company’s financial objectives, within the strategy and business plans of the Bank.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
Procedures and Processes
Ensure the Accounts Procedures and Manuals are up to date, reflect and regulate the processes in the Accounts Department at all times and advise the CFO on changes to the Procedures to improve work flows and mitigate risks.
Ensuring compliance of the departments Procedures/Manuals with relevant accounting standards and the Group’s Network approved policies and make appropriate recommendations to improve the effectiveness of the internal controls in the Finance and Accounts department.
On own initiative, identify risks and areas needing improvement within all processes in the Accounts department and mitigate them by adjusting underlying processes.
Monitor relevant changes in regulatory pronouncements and accounting standards and make appropriate changes to ensure continued compliance of the Accounts department
Set-up and implement a sound Internal Control framework in line with group policy and ensure a healthy/sound internal control environment.
Supervision of the Accounts team
Act as a direct supervisor to all Accounts staff to ensure an effective and efficient discharge their duties at all times
Review the finance Accounts members work on a regular basis and address their performance through timely feedback and coaching.
Transfer knowledge, identify training and development needs as well as provide on the job training to the accounts team in other to ensure continuous professional development.
Financial Statements & Reporting
Responsible for the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual Management Accounts and accompanying notes for the review of the CFO within prescribed deadlines.
Ensure that financial transactions are recorded and classified in accordance with
International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and approved financial reporting standards.
Coordinate the preparation of the monthly and annual Group’s Reporting Package within prescribed deadlines.
Analyze financial data and develop financial analysis as a key management tool with the aim of optimizing the bank’s activities: identify risks, inefficiencies, negative tendencies, and propose measures that reduce risks, improving efficiency, and reverse negative
Institute segmented financial reporting and expense control on a branch basis/product basis.
Serve as contact person to External Auditors and other regulatory agencies or authorities.
Provide information requested by auditors (external & internal) and other regulatory
agencies or authorities in a timely manner.
Coordinate the preparation of all schedules required by the external auditors and tax consultant.
Ensure that all bank statements are reconciled, and the reconciliations reviewed and signed on a monthly basis within prescribed deadlines.
Ensure that all E-Banking transactions are reconciled, differences investigated and resolved within defined timelines.
Ensure a daily reconciliation of myMBS Business Module and myMBS Accounting
Module, investigate differences if any and resolve.
Responsible for the direct supervision of the Reconciliation unit.
Preparation of monthly reconciliations between the accounting ledgers and the business ledgers.
Tax management & Other Statutory Deductions
Ensure that statutory deductions (WHT, PAYE, Pension etc.) are correctly deducted and remitted with supporting schedules within prescribed deadlines.
Ensure the proper computation and timely remittance of all other statutory payments.
These include but are not limited to VAT, Income taxes, Tertiary education tax and Information technology levy.
Manage ad-hoc tasks as assigned by the CFO and MD/CEO
Provides information to
Limits of Authority Taking all decisions and actions according to the organisation’s Finance and
Account Manuals and Procedures, Group Policies, Anti-Money-Laundering Policy, Code of Conduct,
HR Manual, Memos and all other regulations brought into force.
Minimum required Qualifications and Competencies
Education & Training
- B.Sc. or Higher National Diploma in Accounting/ Finance/Economics.
- Must be ACA, ACCA certified or any relevant professional qualification.
- Knowledge & Experience
- At least 7 years’ post professional certification (ICAN, ACCA, etc.) experience.
- Working knowledge of applicable International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Working knowledge of CBN prudential guidelines.
- Working knowledge of the CBN Regulatory and Supervisory Guidelines for MFB and the
- Microfinance Policy Framework.
- Working knowledge of Nigeria’s tax laws (PITA, CITA etc)
- Core Competencies
- Good working knowledge of IFRS
- Good MS Office skills particularly strong capabilities in MS Excel
- Strong accuracy and analytical skills
- Strong ability to make projections and forecasts
- Proven strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure.
Key Result Area
- Efficient and effective supervision of the accounts team in the discharge of their duties.
- The Accounts Procedures and its annexes are up to date, and complied with by all members
- of the accounts team.
- All Accounts operations are in compliance with applicable regulatory requirements, the bank’s procedures and external reporting standards (IFRS).
- Risks within all Accounts processes are proactively mitigated.
- Cooperation with other departments within the bank for the attainment of the bank’s objectives.
- Coach, motivate and train the accounts team for continuous professional development and improved performance.
- Timely preparation and delivery of management accounts and other financial reports.