The Tax Accounting Officer is responsible for the preparation of all tax payments, remittances and returns. Other responsibilities include organizing and maintaining of tax records payments. The Tax Officer must be able to recommend tax strategies that comply with laws and promote the Company's financial well-being
Reporting To: The Finance Department Lead
- Manages the regular bookkeeping responsibility of the company
- Daily processing of invoices, records payments, and track expenses of the organization
- Helps to design, build, and maintain Company charts of account
- Compile and file necessary tax documents regularly
- Daily sending of bills to customers; reconciliation of bills sent with cash received; processing of refunds; interactions with collection agencies on past-due accounts; and, working to resolve billing disputes.
- Builds and Maintains tax and management accounts
- liaise with different government agencies (FIRS, LIRS, etc) on the management of VAT and WHT
- Assist in complying with annual audit requirements, filing with the corresponding government agencies and coordination with external auditors of both the company and the clients.
- Provide guidance to the Finance and Accounting Team in improving existing procedures and systems that will ensure standard compliance with various laws on tax administration.
- With respect to tax matters, assist in the preparation of Financial, Accounting, and Audit reports as may be required.
- Verify accuracy of computerized and manual accounting, as well as record keeping systems.
- Manage compliance of the company with other agencies on all tax and accounting standards by verifying accuracy of payment and tax returns.
- Monitor, review, and conduct analysis on tax planning opportunities and strategies, tax risks, and other tax issues.
- Recommend the most efficient internal controls, policies, and procedures to the company and its clients.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Greatsoft accounting package.
- Knowledge of accounting entries
- WIP and Debtors accounting procedures.
- VAT and WHT accounting Knowledge
- Develops and maintains effective and professional working relationships with other Staff within the organization.
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the MD and Finance Department Lead.
This list should not be regarded as exhaustive and the post holder will be expected to deliver other duties relevant and appropriate to this post
Qualification and skills
Experience in corporate and management accounting (must have worked in corporate organization as accountant – construction or related industry preferred)
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance with minimum 2nd class upper equivalent
Relevant professional certification (e.g. ACA, ACCA, etc).
4 – 6 years relevant work experience
Strong analytical, written oral communication, interpersonal, and relationship building skills.
Strong book keeping ability
Comprehensive knowledge and exposure to taxation, general accounting, and audit practices, principles, and procedures.
Innovation and Attention to Detail
Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Power point and Outlook in various situations
Systems knowledge and familiarity, Sage peach tree
Ability to adapt to change quickly and multi-task.
Excellent understanding of the standards of different tax regulations and administration
Must be highly organized and uses personal time management tool in daily life
Pays close attention to details
Organized and dependable
Hard work and Quality Focus
Honesty and Reliability
Innovative and proficient
A good team player