UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
- This position will provide support and assistance to UNHCR Field Office in Adikpo on shelter and shelter-related activities for the refugee settlement in Anyake; under the direct supervision of the Shelter Officer and work in close collaboration with the Assistant Shelter Officer, Ikom Field Unit and Head of Field Unit in Adikpo.
- The incumbent is expected to have a relevant technical background in order to provide the appropriate analysis, assessment, planning, monitoring and evaluation support to the shelter response provided to refugees in Benue State.
- As part of the shelter team, the Shelter Associate assists the Field Office to ensure smooth implementation of the UNHCR Shelter programme in Benue State. The post is based in Adikpo but requires also travelling to other field offices and areas of program implementation.
- He/she will be required to have regular contact with Programme, protection and field staff in the field office in order to ensure technical support related to shelter, site planning and construction activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the WASH Officer, the incumbent shall carry out the responsibilities below:
- Provide support and advice on all technical matters, including settlement development, shelter and infrastructure construction to the UNHCR Field Office, Partners and Agencies involved in the UNHCR Operations in Benue State.
- Provide direct supervision and guidance for all UNHCR implemented shelter and construction activities to ensure quality control, timely and cost-effective implementation.
- Assist the UNHCR Field Office in close monitoring of shelter and settlement activities by highlighting the budgetary implications of technical components, as well as the technical integrity of shelter interventions in refugee locations.
- Prepare detailed designs, drawings, specifications, bills of quantities, material lists and cost estimates for all shelter and settlement related works. Review all proposed Partners designs/plans and drawings to ensure they meet the minimum required technical standards and specifications.
- Identify and evaluate shelter needs in refugee settlement and host communities, in line with UNHCR’s mandate and planned activities. Provide inputs for the formulation of project submissions to address shelter and settlement needs, taking into consideration technical standards (UNHCR/Sphere/National) as well as UNHCR protection mandate and policy priorities.
- Regularly liaise and coordinate with other specialists in Ikom, and Calabar Sub-office and Government authorities as well as other agencies, maintaining a close working relationship through different information sharing mechanisms;
- Attend relevant coordination meetings to promote the active sharing of information and synergy in activities’ implementation.
- Make recommendations on procurement of all necessary materials, equipment and tools for timely implementation of plans and site facilities functionality.
- Provide regular technical reports to the supervisor and to other colleagues as appropriate.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of the Secondary Education with post-secondary training in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Construction Site Management or other related fields
- Minimum 6 years professional experience and additional training/experience desirable in site planning, construction of building works, Shelter and Infrastructure.
- Knowledge of computer software (Ms Word, Excel PowerPoint), as well as the capacity to use mapping tools, ie. GPS and MapInfo.
- Knowledge of computer-aided design software (AutoCAD or ArchiCAD, MS Visio, MapInfo etc.) is a requirement.
- Fluency in English language skills (written and spoken) and excellent analytical capacity in English (written and spoken).
- Technical drafting and design skills, preferably with basis computer-aided drafting (CAD) experience.
- Knowledge of SPHERE standards and the ability to use basic survey equipment, digital cameras, and computer equipment.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Good judgement and decision-making skills.
- Analytical thinking and resource management skills
- Stakeholder Management.
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application/Letter of Motivation, Resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) and send via email ONLY quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
- Kindly note that a written test may be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/554316 to apply for this job .