UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
- Following continued protests from the population in the English-speaking part of Cameroon, which started in October 2016, against marginalization, historic injustices, including the deployment of French-speaking teachers to Southern Cameroon, over 21,291 officially registered asylum seekers have fled into Nigeria for their safety.
- More Cameroonians are arriving through Cross River, Taraba and Benue States in South-South and Middle-Belt Nigeria. UNHCR’s immediate priorities include working with State authorities to create temporary settlements, pending identification, with a long-term view to exploring avenues that should allow refugees to live in host communities.
- UNHCR with implementing partners is to develop these settlements with shelters, and to provide water and sanitation infrastructure with adequate hygiene, which is the focus of this role.
Core Duties And Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Shelter Officer, the incumbent will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare designs, bill of quantities, and cost estimates of the works to be undertaken to improve water and sanitation systems in emergency basis for new sites identified as well as for the provision of improved environmental sanitation.
- Provide necessary technical input and appropriate supervision during construction of emergency latrines, water points and other general infrastructure. This includes quality control and advising and implementing improvements, as well as a cost-effective implementation.
- Lead the implementation of proper hygiene promotion methods/approaches that ensure the proper use of water and sanitation facilities for the IDP camps.
- In collaboration with WASH officer produce appropriate IEC materials for hygiene promotion activities implementation in consultation with Persons of Concern and WASH Partners.
- Ensure that the use of IEC materials in the hygiene promotion activities in all Camp is with a pre-tested message in relation to culture and religions sensitivity of the beneficiaries.
- Lead in conducting the appropriate Environmental Health (EH) Knowledge, Practice and Coverage (KPC) surveys during survey design, data collection, data entry, analysis and reporting in order to monitor and evaluate the impact of sanitation and hygiene promotion activities;
Monitoring, Evaluation and Quality Assurance:
- Closely supervise and monitor the implementation of all water and sanitation construction activities to ensure that they are executed in accordance with the designs, specifications and schedules.
- Assist in identifying appropriate sites for establishment of WASH facilities considering the site condition especially the risk of groundwater contamination while installing emergency latrine.
- Help ensure that the WASH monitoring system data collection and reporting is carried out systematically, properly and timely with quality information
- Compile various reports/documents prepared by different entities on the water and sanitation sectors and gather additional data, as necessary.
- Report regularly on WASH activity implementation by the WASH partners, while helping the WASH Unit to maintain accurate records of all relevant WASH performance indicators.
- Prepare weekly reports with updates on activities and events.
- Regularly liaise and coordinate with other specialists in other UNHCR offices, Ikom Field Office, and Calabar Sub office, and assist with liaison with authorities as well as other agencies.
- Participate in coordination meetings to promote the active sharing of information and synergy in activities’ implementation.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of the Secondary Education with post-secondary training in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Construction Site Management or other related fields.
- Minimum 6 years professional experience and additional training/experience desirable in site planning, construction of building works, Shelter and Infrastructure.
- Knowledge of computer software (Ms Word, Excel PowerPoint), as well as the capacity to use mapping tools, ie. GPS and MapInfo.
- Knowledge of computer-aided design software (AutoCAD or ArchiCAD, MS Visio, MapInfo etc.) is a requirement.
- Fluency in English language skills (written and spoken) and excellent analytical capacity in English (written and spoken).
- Technical drafting and design skills, preferably with basis computer-aided drafting (CAD) experience.
- Knowledge of SPHERE standards and the ability to use basic survey equipment, digital cameras, and computer equipment.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Good judgement and decision-making skills.
- Analytical thinking and resource management skills
- Stakeholder Management
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application/Letter of Motivation, Resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) and send via email ONLY quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the
- Kindly note that a written test may be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/554306 to apply for this job .