Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation Nigeria (MGIC) is a non-profit affiliate of UMB with a mission to administratively support international operations of UMB Principal Investigators. Our purpose is to provide the administrative infrastructure for sizable and sustained operations outside of the US.
- Six Months with the possibility of renewal subject the availability of fund.
- The Organization is seeking qualified candidates for the position Senior Accountant on its recent award on "the Nigeria Indicator and Impact Survey (NAIlS), a Population-based HIV Impact Assessment (PHIA) Survey that was developed to enable countries obtain HIV-specific indicators, including the impact of the expansion of HIV prevention and treatment programs to facilitate effective monitoring of national HIV programs.
- The Senior Accountant is responsible for safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of MGIC Nigeria and ultimately the partner donors against fraud, loss, or misuse.
- The Senior Accountant is responsible for ensuring that money expended in the field is done in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, MGIC policy, and all costs principles imposed by the donor agency.
- He/she assures that all costs are reasonable and necessary for the completion of the office projects and MGIC’s mission.
- The Senior Accountant is aware of, and adheres to, MGIC’s procurement integrity standards in all activities.
- Ensure that required financial controls are in place to avoid unauthorized use of funds, and that prior authorization is obtained before any payment.
- Examine all financial documents for payment (i.e. purchase requests, purchase orders, local consultant invoices and request reimbursements) and ensure the completeness, accuracy and validity of financial data, including accounting classification and computations.
- Monitor all bank accounts, and review and reconcile bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Record financial transactions into QuickBooks; submit each month’s expenses following the prescribed procedures and send report to HQ by the 10th business day of each month .
- Ensure on-time, accurate data entry, completing the journal entries for non-routine expenses as necessary.
- Monitor MGIC Nigeria bank account transactions and reconcile account with project expenditures as part of the month end close process.
- Ensure Audit Compliance utilizing principles of audit and performance. Provide an audit interface between MGIC corporate accounting, MGIC Internal Audit, MGIC external audit firms, and donor auditors including preparation of audit workpapers when requested.
- Provide routine financial statements and reports to MGIC Nigeria management.
- Manage cash flow, including funds transfers from MGIC headquarters and local currency exchange, per MGIC policies and procedures.
- Audit petty cash on a regular basis to ensure adherence to MGIC policies; replenish as necessary.
- Oversee the issuance and collection of project and staff/consultant travel advances, reconciling advance accounts each month. Follow up on outstanding advances which have not been liquidated in the timeframe prescribed by MGIC policy, and resolve any queries through dialogue with individual employees and their supervisors.
- Monitor the maintenance and operations of all banking transactions to ensure that adequate funds are available all times to cover MGIC Nigeria operations.
- Prepare regular project reimbursement, billing requests, and accompanying financial reports for submission to MGIC/USA office.
- University degree in Accounting or equivalent certification from a business technical school.
- ACCA/ CPA/ACA or CNA certificationis required.
- Higher Degree will be an added advantage
- Experience as an Accountant or understanding of key aspects of accounting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel spreadsheets, or comparable software.
- At least 5 years’ experience in implementing accounting functions and supervising accounting staff.
- Capacity to deal with multiple tasks and be able to adhere to tight deadlines, and excellent time management skills.
- Ability to use basic accounting software (Quickbooks).
- Demonstrate good judgment and sound financial common sense.
- Ability to create and monitor budgets. Understanding of the basic tenets of cash control, asset management and bank reconciliation.
- Understanding of principles of adequate documentation and of audit, and performance necessary to ensure audit compliance.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English including business terminology.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/551374 to apply for this job .