Translators without Borders is a unique non-profit organization that helps humanitarian organizations communicate more effectively with vulnerable populations in the right languages. TWB created the first translation and language program specifically for crisis response and is now deploying that program in northeast Nigeria.
- Initially 3 months, with the possibility of extension/ national position
- Some travel in north-east Nigeria and between Maiduguri and field sites
- The Fulfulde Community Team Leader will lead on recruiting, capacity building, and managing a community of translators in Fulfulde, from among qualified translators and suitably skilled bilinguals in Nigeria and the wider region.
- The role will identify capacity building needs and coordinate training and support measures to respond to them.
- The post-holder will be responsible for delivering high-quality Fulfulde language translation, terminology development, and training services to humanitarian organizations in north-east Nigeria and will provide research, administrative and logistical support to other TWB activities as needed.
Recruitment and management of the Fulfulde language team:
- Research and report on the existing capacity of professional language service providers (LSPs) for Fulfulde in north-eastern Nigeria, identifying their training and support needs
- Recruit a team of qualified translators and suitably skilled bilinguals for training and recruitment into a TWB community of translators (posting vacancies, shortlisting, interviewing, reaching out to universities, LSPs, community groups)
- Test Fulfulde applicant translators to ensure high-quality applicants are selected
- Train and coach new Fulfulde translators to improve their skills and ensure they know how to use TWB translation platforms and glossaries
- Manage and support the Fulfulde language the pool of translators to encourage exchanges of experience, sharing of learning, mutual support and a sense of belonging to a TWB team
- Manage the volunteer and translator incentive program in collaboration with the Crisis Response Translations Project Manager
Management of translation and language services:
- Liaise between partner organizations, Fulfulde translators and TWB’s wider translation team to take full responsibility for delivering high-quality translations on time
- Lead for Fulfulde in the provision of multilingual terminology support to humanitarian partner organizations, including terminology harvesting, collaborative development of sectoral terminology in relevant languages, and support to field testing
- Working with the CD, coordinate training activities, including liaising with partner organizations on needs, timings and venue; identifying suitable trainers with the right skills and languages; collecting evaluation forms; and maintaining a register of trained Fulfulde translators and interpreters
- Support TWB in the implementation of field activities, including comprehension studies, needs assessments and wider research on language
- Working with the Crisis Translation Manager, make sure that alternative workflows are in place and available to members of the Fulfulde translator pool who cannot access and/or use TWB’s web-based translation platform
- Research, contribute to and/or write language factsheets guides, dos and don’ts, etc.
- Participate in research and monitoring, evaluation and learning activities
- Test interpreters to assess language competency levels
- Identify needs for new translation technology tools and assist with the development and roll-out of new tools as they emerge (including online testing modules and audio translation)
- Support a peer network of interpreters and translators in north-east Nigeria
- Provide administrative and logistical support to TWB’s activities in Nigeria as needed
- Support TWB in scaling up operations in Nigeria, particularly with recruiting other language team leaders
- Attend occasional meetings of humanitarian organizations to relay TWB messaging and report on discussions or decisions, as directed by the Humanitarian Program Manager/Country Director
- Produce regular reports
- Any other duty as required
- Reporting lines: The post holder will be reporting to the Crisis Response Translations Project Manager
- Professional translation or interpreting qualifications and experience
- Excellent quality written and spoken Fulfulde
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Resourcefulness and ability to innovate to find creative solutions
- Integrity and professional verbal and written presentation
- Team player; experience managing volunteers a plus
- Previous experience with non-profit organizations, particularly in development and/or humanitarian action, a plus
- Training experience a plus
- Familiar with office management (financial, logistics) routine is a plus experience of Computer Assisted Translation tools
- Track record of working with and managing volunteers and small teams
- 3+ years’ experience in translation or interpretation into Fulfulde, ideally from English
- Experience in team work management/facilitation
- Mother tongue Fulfulde speaker with superb Fulfulde writing skills
- Willingness to travel to insecure locations for work
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
- Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
- These roles and responsibilities are approximate and may change over time.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/551101 to apply for this job .