Breakthrough Action-Nigeria is a new five-year, USAID-funded project. The goal of Breakthrough ACTION/Nigeria is to increase the practice of 17 priority individual and household level behaviors and five provider targeted behaviors in the areas of malaria; maternal, newborn, child health and nutrition; family planning and reproductive health (RH); and tuberculosis, while increasing the capacity of national and sub-national entities to coordinate and oversee quality SBC programming. Implementation will vary by health area across eleven states.
- The Breakthrough Action Nigeria (BA-Nigeria) Gender Advisor serves as the lead advisor in identifying gender-based constraints facing men/women in the targeted communities and steering program activities to directly address these issues.
- S/he will be expected to engage with all areas of program implementation to ensure gender mainstreaming practices are being utilized.
Position’s Roles & Interactions
- This position will interact heavily with BA senior technical staff, partners and relevant internal and external stakeholders
- The position will have lead responsibility for all gender related outputs of Breakthrough ACTION/Nigeria.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In addition to the general duties described above, specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Provide technical assistance to partners in assessing the strength of their approach to gender mainstreaming across the program cycle.
- Compile, analyze and interpret gender issues and statistical data and carry out thorough research and preparation of top quality analysis and reports (including gender assessment & monitoring reports).
- Develop and deepen innovative approaches to gender integration, gender equality, and inclusive development, and participate actively in relevant professional (formal and informal) communities.
- Provide advice on appropriate gender sensitive indicators in the performance measurement framework and support colleagues in the monitoring and reporting of project results/outputs and objectives against agreed indicators.
- Identify gender-based constraints to access to and control over information, inputs and resources in targeted areas, and in strategizing solutions to be implemented through project activities;
- Advise partner NGO staff and partners on ways to promote gender equality through project interventions, and advise on how to tailor each intervention;
- Champion male focused gender programming innovations
- Support in the M&E collection and interpretation for gender specific indicators;
- Serve as the project resource person for all gender-based questions and engage with stakeholders on gender issues being addressed by the project;
- Monitor, analyze and be up-to-date with gender related topics at national and international level;
- Distil and document lessons for policy dialogue, public advocacy and future programming and organize dissemination of learning within teams and partners.
- Manage gender specific initiatives in accordance with agreed deliverables e.g. monitor project expenditure against agreed budget lines and timeframes and ensure the financial resources are effectively used. Exercise quality assurance oversight and institute early warning systems to detect weaknesses in project implementation and advise management on corrective interventions.
- Represent the project management in relevant partner meetings
- Other duties as identified and assigned
- Minimum of a Master's in Gender Studies, Women Studies, International Development, Development Studies or related field;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with a USAID funded Project/ International organisation;
- At least 5 years experience managing a gender portfolio;
- Experience working in a health-related donor funded project in Nigeria;
- Substantial experience in designing, monitoring and evaluation of gender projects;
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with, local communities, partner staff, and policymakers;
- An influential communicator, with excellent written and verbal skills in both English and Hausa languages.
- To apply for any of this position, please follow the instructions EXACTLY. Any submissions that do not follow the instructions EXACTLY will be discarded without review:
Your Cover Letter should include the following:
- Address the education/experience requirement specified for the position with specific examples where necessary
- Language skills. (Please note that language skills will be tested during interviews for shortlisted candidates.)
- Include the specific date when you would be able to begin work
- CV and cover letter PDF file name must be your first and last name in CAPS (USMAN SEGUN).
- The subject line of your e-mail should be "BA-Nigeria IT Officer"
- DO NOT include any additional certificates or documentation
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to provide Industry certifications.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/551036 to apply for this job .