The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments
Purpose of the Job
- UNICEF is seeking an experienced and innovative monitoring specialist for its Nigeria country office. As part of the new Managing for Results section, this position will deliver results for children by implementing effective and modern monitoring of results as well as supporting effective use of data throughout the country office.
- Under the overall guidance of the Chief, Planning and Monitoring (Management for Results), accountable for the management and implementation of areas of responsibility under this post. The primary function of this post is to improve the innovative monitoring, collation and analysis of UNICEF programme results in the Nigeria Country Office, with a particular focus on convergence and through use of technology, towards the achievement of UNICEF's organizational priorities and strategies at the community, LGA, state and national levels. The post will improve the relevance, quality, availability and use of data and contextual information on children and women throughout UNICEF and externally. The post will support with coordination and dissemination at country level data on key social indicators, including through presentations, MICS, DevInfo and report summaries, and promote its use in corporate planning, policy formulation, programme design, advocacy and flagship publications.
Key Functions, Accountability, and Related Duties/Tasks
Monitoring and tracking of programme results:
- Monitor and track results at the field level through innovative processes and tools including the use of new technologies.
- Develop and implement innovative tools and methodologies for tracking results.
- Coordinate with partners to ensure that monitoring systems are properly designed, and that data collection and analysis from field visits are coordinated and standardized across programmes to feed into to programme performance monitoring
- Build capacities within the office and field offices on the use of innovative structures, mechanisms, and tools to track results at the field level. Through close coordination with Chiefs of Field Offices, and ensure that field monitoring approaches and associated tools capably support advancing the results agenda for children in Nigeria.
- Collect data, monitor and analyse data, and support internal and external dissemination of results to inform NCO collaboration around key programme results, including inputs to management reports.
- Contribute to analysis of results in the context of UNICEF Nigeria CPD 2018-2022, UN coherence efforts, and readily ascertain UNICEF's contributions to supporting Nigeria achieve the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Development of innovative ways to manage and disseminate data:
- Work with ITD/UNICEF, UN agencies, private sector, NGOs to develop and implement new and innovative ways to collect, analyse and disseminate data and results, including the use of a scorecard system at LGA and/or State level.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of innovative systems for efficient processes.
- Build capacities within the office and partners as appropriate for collection, analysis and dissemination of data related to children and women and programme results.
Programme Development and Management:
- Identify critical intervention points and measures by administering a consistent and transparent monitoring system; analyze country level socio-political-economic trends and their implications for ongoing programmes and projects.
- Draft changes to/or prepare programme work plans as required. Prepare program recommendations for inclusion in formal programme documentation, and new approaches, methods and practices.
- Establishes programme work-plans, monitors compliance and provides training, support and guidance to the programme team in order to meet objectives. Identifies human resources requirements and on-going staff development needs.
- Reviews and evaluates the technical, institutional and financial feasibility and constraints of programme/projects in collaboration with Government and other partners.
- Prepares relevant programme reports required for management, the Executive Board, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
- Rights-Based and Results-Based Programme Management Approach:
- Adopt rights-based programmes approach in the formulation of programme goals and objectives and development of strategies and implementation frameworks.
- Formulate consistent and effective planning, design, implementation, monitoring and/or evaluation of programmes and projects.
- Bring coherence, synergy and added value to the programming planning and design processes using a results-based management approach to programme planning and design.
- Prepare and submit viable recommendations on project implementation, alternative approaches, and optimal utilization of resources that contribute effectively to the fulfilment of the rights of children and women, and recommendations on programme, new initiatives and management issues to ensure achievement of stated objectives.
National and Local Capacity Building/Sustainability:
- Provide government authorities with technical supports and guidance to plan and organize training programmes for the purpose of capacity building and programme sustainability.
- Ensure the building and reinforcing of the commitment and institutional capacities of the national and local partners starting with taking a strategic approach to the identification of these partners and partnerships.
- Rights Perspective and Advocacy at the National, Community and Family Levels:
- Conduct policy analysis from a children's and women's rights perspective and advocacy at the government, community and family levels for elevating credibility in national and international policy debates.
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through active advocacy and communication.
Partnership, Coordination, and Collaboration:
- Develop partnership and collaboration with internal and external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate development data and information, exchange information on programme/project status and implementation and movement/distribution of supplies.
- Linkage to the Regional Programme Knowledge Network to ensure the availability of current and accurate programme data.
- Collaborate with the Operations Section to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of programming endeavors and to coordinate financial and supply management requirements and accountability.
- Maintain close collaboration with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers for effective overall coordination on programmes.
- Plans, develops and implements sectoral programme(s) by collaborating with the government and other partners.
- Provide leadership in provision of technical advice, negotiation, advocacy and promotion of area/country level goals, leading to agreement on practicable and priority actions to be supported by UNICEF programme and country level cooperation.
- Advanced university degree in social sciences or a field related to the work of UNICEF.
- At least eight years of experience at national and international levels in programme/project planning; with significant experience in data dissemination/interpretation and data analysis in the sectors of concern to UNICEF and knowledge of new technical developments and software in data dissemination; and some experience in other areas of applied statistics.
- Professional technical expertise in data analysis and dissemination specifically related to UNICEF related indicators
- Well developed computer skills including proficiency in data dissemination software ( Devinfo)
- Proficiency in displaying data for use by government policy makers, partner organizations, and the general public.
- Developing country work experience is required.
- Exposure to emergency programming, including preparedness planning.
- Active involvement in a humanitarian crisis response programme required.
- Fluency in English and a second UN language.
- Competencies of the Successful Candidate
- Diversity and inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results.
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Planning and Organizing.
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
- Sets high standards for quality and consistently achieves project goals.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrates and shares detailed technical knowledge and expertise.
- Adjusts team or department's approach to embrace changing circumstances.
- Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
- Ensures that team or department follows relevant company policies and procedures.
- Has excellent leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
- Sets clearly defined objectives and plans activities for self, own team or department.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/550892 to apply for this job .