Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 600 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff that is committed to its mission and values. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Our Program in Nigeria
- We launched our programs in Nigeria in 2004. Now in 2017, the country program has offices in Abuja, Jos, Maiduguri, and Yola. We work with partners in target states of the country to support a peaceful resolution of conflict. Each program is adapted to specific local context and conflicts, and all apply common ground tools from our toolbox.
- Search has established a permanent presence in Abuja as an operational base and all our Nigeria offices are currently supporting a host of programs with activities that include capacity building, dialogues, peace architecture, media programming, participatory theatre and collaborative joint activities.
Summary of Position
- Admin & Finance Officer will be responsible for ensuring SFCG systems and procedures are followed and adhered to at the state level. Support the state office staff/ team in general administration and finance functions.
- S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Admin and Logistics lead in Maiduguri and work closely with the Finance team and the other project team members. This position is based in Adamawa with infrequent visits to other field offices.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist with procurements and purchase of necessary office consumables
- On behalf of SFCG (at the state level) negotiates with vendors, contractors etc for needed items while ensuring best value for money in such transactions.
- Provide logistical assistance SFCG staff in the state both expatriate and national in the areas of local travel and hotel accommodation.
- Liaise with hotels for meetings, conferences and making reservations for planned activities and staff during visits
- Provide logistical support for meetings and conferences on-site and off-site.
- Coordinate parcel delivery and pick up’s
- Prepare and submit a monthly logistics & admin report to the state coordinator/supervisor
- Rubber stamping ‘paid’ on all such documents once checks and cash vouchers are signed before filing.
- Maintain an organized and well documented (all files must be labeled properly and visibly) and sequential filing system for official records in the state office.
- Maintain an inventory register and ensure it is updated periodically.
- Provides necessary support for general office maintenance, generator repairs/maintenance and other forms of repairs requiring attention on the state office.
Petty Cash Management:
- Assisting in keeping the Petty Cash in the state office.
- Maintain petty cash at the set limit ensuring no cash shortage at all times.
- Prepare Petty cash replenishment sheet for review of the Procurement and Admin Manager before replenishment
- Prepare the petty cash upload spreadsheet to upload stage ready for review by Maiduguri Senior Finance/Accounts coordinator before submission.
- Carries out supervised petty cash counts every Friday by a superior officer in the state office.
- Carry out banking transactions eg. deposit and withdrawal etc.
- Ensure that all cash received is duly receipted, coded and promptly banked
- Review for accuracy Vouchers and supporting documents and sending to the Finance and Accounts coordinator for upload to the banking software
- Carry out scanning of Financial documents to the finance software.
- Conducting of Terrorist Check for vendors, partners and periodically for new Staff.
- Ensure that files with original documentation are sent to the head office on a monthly basis and duplicate files are maintained for field use.
- Be adaptable and flexible with a view to taking on board new tasks and new assignments as occasion demands.
- To act at all times in accordance with SFCG, Nigerian Laws and Standard practice.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by immediate supervisor.
You meet the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor's degree (OND, HND,BSc) in Accounting/Finance/ Business Administration or related field
- A minimum of 1 - 2 years of experience in Accounting/Finance/ Control/Admin and logistics/Procurement
- Experience in both development and humanitarian contexts is considered as an added advantage;
- Local residents of Borno state with considerable knowledge of local markets and business opportunities will be an advantage;
- Fluency in oral and written English and Hausa is essential;
- Good knowledge of other local languages will be an asset.
- Good knowledge of the terrain in Yola will also be an advantage.
- Strong networking, partnership and interpersonal skills;
- Highly organized and systematic with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication and working skills, enjoys a multicultural work environment;
You are expected to be:
- Accountability: Being accountable and passing on accountability for one's own actions and those of colleagues and the organization.
- Attention to detail: The ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently
- Collaboration: The ability to work effectively with others in order to achieve a shared goal - even when the object at stake is of no direct personal interest possibilities.
- Creativity: The ability to come up with original and innovative ideas and solutions, to adopt points of view outside the usual parameters.
- Focus on Quality: Setting high-quality standards and striving for continuous improvement and quality assurance.
- Learning Ability: The ability to absorb new information readily and to put it into practice effectively
- Adaptability: The ability to remain fully functional by adapting to changing circumstances (environment, procedures and people).
- We are looking to fill this position with the right candidate. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/550787 to apply for this job .