Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO), is the world's leading independent international development organization that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
- Support the Country Finance Manager in managing the finances of the country office.
- Support the Country Finance Manager in effectively managing the finances (including budgets) of the Country Office.
- Be a reference point on financial matters in the Country Office.
- Be able to advise on VSO Volunteer allowances arrangements covering Volunteers and the Country Office.
- Ensure adherence to finance policies set globally and locally.
- Liaise with other Country Offices to provide inputs for multi-country programmes of work.
Budgeting & Forecasting:
- Support the Country Finance Manager in preparing the annual budget and Country Office input into the Quarterly Business Review process.
Support the Country Finance Manager to:
- Manage the donor reporting timetable and ensure reports are produced in a timely manner;
- Produce restricted donor reports;
- Prepare budgets for fundraising bids which maximize cost recovery in line with VSO policies;
- Produce high-quality monthly management reports for Country Directors and the London based Finance team;
- Advise on any variances and report internally and externally where appropriate.
- Deputize for the Finance Manager and fulfill other appropriate level responsibilities as defined by the Finance Manager from time to time.
Key Performance Indicator:
- Country Office finances, including budgets, are managed effectively, are accurate and have met deadlines set for completion.
- Global financial management policies, procedures, and fund requirements are strictly applied and compliant with local law. Manual of Country Office procedures is up to date and changes communicated to relevant people.
- Financial records are kept in line with global policies and procedures.
- Budgets are monitored monthly and actions taken to address variances within overall budget limits.
- Loans and grants to partners and volunteers are effectively monitored. Debts are monitored and followed up on a regular basis with debtors.
- Risks are identified and analysed in a timely manner to ensure they can be mitigated against.
- Customer feedback demonstrates a high level of satisfaction with financial support given.
- Internal and external reports are timely, high quality and accurate.
Requirements, Skills, and Experience
- Technical Accounting Expertise - Part qualified Accountant, ideally studying to complete an accounting qualification. Degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree.
- Good technical accounting skills. Experience of financial planning, bookkeeping practice and principle, knowledge of internal controls, general ledger, cash management and reconciliations, payroll processing and taxation. Experience of financial reporting, measurement and analysis.
- Experience of rules and regulations for non-profit organizations. Knowledge of donor financial reporting and donor procurement procedures.
- Experience of working in multiple foreign currencies and understanding of foreign exchange hedging.
- Financial and Information Technology Systems - Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel particularly. Use of accounting software, SUN Accounts system preferred.
- Communication and Influencing Skills - Good written and verbal communication skills - able to listen, present, discuss, report, put views forward and negotiate with confidence.
- Sensitivity to cultural and language differences and able to interact with people at all levels of the organisation.
- Able to work with others in a consultative way, ability to withstand and resolve conflict, negotiating professional solutions.
- Decision Making and planning - professional judgment and discernment. Capacity for inquiry, research, logical and analytical thinking, powers of reasoning and critical
- analysis. Experience of decision modeling.
- Risk Management - Experience of identifying and analysing financial risks.
- Planning and Organisation - Able to prioritize within restricted resources to tight deadlines. Able to anticipate and adapt to change. Strong attention to detail. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Self-motivated to set initiatives and self-learn. Commitment to VSO’s work and values.
- Working together - Adds Value.
- Proactively enables and encourages teamwork in others.
- Communicating and influencing - Adds Value
- Proactively builds constructive relationships through clear communication and generates effective discussion and mutual support for plans and ideas.
- Managing knowledge - Adds Value
- Proactively seeks out new knowledge sources (people and data); uses and shares knowledge effectively.
- Striving for excellence - Adds Value
- Sets and measures challenging objectives for self and others involved in the project; gives evidence-based feedback that helps others to excel.
- Managing resources - Adds Value
- Organises own and others’ work to meet objectives; clarifies accountability of roles; allocates budget wisely; seeks ways to save money.
- Managing people - Aware
- Requests and follows up on appropriate support from others; raises concerns about unco-operative colleagues in an appropriate way.
- Developing people - Aware
- Gives constructive feedback that helps others identify and meet development needs.
- Leading for the future - Aware
- Is enthusiastic about VSO’s work lives VSO’s values and is open to new ideas.
- Thinking strategically - Adds Value
- Makes decisions based on a range of internal and external factors and long-term impact; consults widely across disciplines.
Delivering results - Adds Value
- Analyses objectives, consider options, plans and manages appropriately; holds self and team accountable for achieving goals.
- VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/550746 to apply for this job .