Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
- We are looking for a highly skilled, creative Finance Manager, to direct Financial procedures and policies, planning, budgeting and overseeing costs and general accounting.
About the Program
- Action Against Hunger-USA has been operational in Nigeria since 2010 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sector strategy where Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience.
- The main objectives of the country program are to continue building on Action Against Hunger-USA reputation for nutritional expertise to deliver integrated Nutrition, WASH and FSL assistance in the high caseload the Northern Nigeria States, build evidence from our pilot projects and influence policymakers to find long lasting solution to undernutrition and hunger, while responding to the dire humanitarian situation created by the devastating conflict on-going in the North East. This will be done through applying, where possible, attempts to find durable solutions in line with the New ways of Working and Humanitarian Development Nexus.
- The Nigeria mission program has a central office in Abuja and 3 main field office across the North, Action Against Hunger-USA-USA runs intervention in 3 States of Northern Nigeria including two States affected by the ongoing conflict. We have a country team of around 550 staff (45 Third Country Nationals) and a budget for 2018 projected at 50 M US$. Our main donors and partners in Nigeria include USAID/OFDA & FFP, DFID, ECHO, EU EDF, AFD, UNICEF, SIDA, SDC and GAC.
You'll contribute to ending world hunger by:
- ensuring sound and transparent administration of funds by providing accounting and financial management consistent with Action Against Hunger's financial management framework and local legislation.
Consolidate the Base accounts monthly:
- Disseminating information about the accounting procedures of the base and ensuring that these procedures are respected.
- The comprehensiveness and precision of entries and the correct budgetary charging of expenses.
- Ensure field books are closed on monthly basis towards the end of the month.
- Timely forwarding of accounting information to the capital.
- Ensure that all Cash count & Bank Reconciliation are done at the month end for field books.
- Ensure that all accounting documentation is updated on daily basis & reconciles Bank Books, Cash Books.
- Review the field monthly accountancy to ensure correctness of account codes, budget lines and descriptions used and feedback is sent to all admins on accountancy.
- Prepare a detail report for Finance Coordinator on outstanding/prepaid advances if requested.
Responsible for Base Tax operation:
- Ensure that the base is in compliance with in-country tax policies.
- Ensure monthly WHT is deducted from suppliers and recorded correctly in accountancy.
- Ensure that proper documentation is filed for WHT on monthly basis.
- Assist Finance Coordinator in ensuring a good Tax system is in place at the base.
Contribute to Grant financial management, donors compliance & budget analysis:
- Support budget holders in developing their forecast and monitoring their lines.
- Receive & incorporating budget forecast in BFU.
- Organize & lead monthly BFU meetings at the base & provide updates to Finance Coordinator for each grant.
- Monitor level of over/underspending per budget lines and provide feedback to Finance Coordinator.
- Inform the Finance Coordinator for any information which impacts the grant financial status.
- Warning the Head of Finance Department and Field Coordinator of financial risks.
- Review donor guidelines and ensure flexibility is respected.
- Ensure proper filing of grants vouchers (review hard documents, review archiving process with the Capital finance team in close coordination with Finance Coordinator
Treasury forecast & cash management:
- Implementing the Cash Management procedures on the base and ensuring they are respected.
- The availability and safekeeping of the necessary cash.
- Authorising and making payment for purchases falling within the monthly forecast of his/her base.
- Ensure timely & realistic forecast is sent to the capital.
- Meet program managers to ensure good forecast in line with a spending plan.
- Ensure expenditures are in line with the forecast prepared, analyze discrepancy between cash and budget forecast and put in place corrective measures.
- With the help of Capital Finance Officer, monitor funds & ensure that there is a low balance towards the end of the month.
- Ensure that the funds are requested accordingly as requested in the cash forecast.
- Object Capacity building for finance & Non-finance staff:
- Work closely with finance team to build their capacity.
- Organize BFU & forecast meetings with all key staff (finance & Non-finance) to ensure the team is well trained on BFU & recognize the importance of BFU.
- To develop and conduct training for finance staff on accounting policies & tools at the base level.
- Identify the needs of finance staff training & arrange training sessions accordingly.
- Provide induction/briefing on accountancy to all field employees joining finance department.
- Conduct regular refresher training on accounting tools to new/existing finance staff on regular basis.
- Develop & share new tools with Finance Coordinator to improve mission accountancy quality & budget allocation.
Supervision & Team Management:
- Supervise Finance Officer & Finance Assistant.
- Conducting performance appraisals and setting quarterly /yearly objectives of Finance Officer & Finance Assistant.
Conduct Internal Audit:
- Conduct internal Audit from time to time by using FAP “Financial Audit tool”.
- Share Audit report with Finance Coordinator with recommendations & action plan.
- Follow up on recommendations for improvement on a regular basis.
- Management of fraud and corruption cases:
- Alert on suspicion of fraud and corruption through the appropriate channel.
- Identify fraud and corruption cases in the base.
- Sensitize the team on the management of fraud and corruption risks.
- Alert on suspicion of fraud and corruption through the appropriate channel.
- You have Bachelor equivalent in Accounting/Finance. Masters degree is preferred.
- You have 3 years of professional experience in finance with proven experience in team management.
- You have Minimum of 2 years’ experience in NGO financial management.
- You have experience as an auditor.
- You have an exceptional organization, time management, and attention to detail.
- You have Strong accounting skills.
- You have Strong budget management skills.
- You have Team management & coordination skills.
- You have experience with SAGA accounting system.
- You have very good communication & training skills.
- You have good analytical skills.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently & as a member of a team.
- You are fluent in written & spoken English.
- You are committed to gender equity and equality.
- You have a genuine interest in & commitment to the principles of Action Against Hunger.
- Your work style builds confidence with others, and you believe that every problem has a solution. It is the way we approach the problem that makes the difference.
- You are able to remain calm under pressure and can easily adapt to changing circumstances
- You are ready and willing to integrate into a hardworking and fun team that believes in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.
Our Core Values:
- In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core competencies:
- Respect - we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
- Integrity - we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness, and transparency is imperative.
- Creativity - we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
- Excellence - we strive to provide services that meet and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
- Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners, and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Action Against Hunger-USA values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/550528 to apply for this job .