Plan International Nigeria is part is the global federation of Plan International and was registered as a National Organization in 2014 in Nigeria. Plan International works in 52 developing Countries across Africa, Asia, and the Americas. Plan’s Global Strategic Goals (2017-2022) is to advance Children’s Rights and Equality for Girls ad our Ambition is, “together, we take action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive”. We reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalized through the delivery of high-quality programmes that deliver long-lasting benefits to children and their communities.
- Emergency Response Manager
- The purpose of this role is to support the international Emergency Response Manager (ERM) who is leading the emergency response work of Plan International Nigeria in the North East.
- The role will particularly be responsible for operational activities including dealing with issues of Finance, Human resources Admin and logistics.
- The ERM is covering a variety of different tasks, which includes among others overseeing the development and implementation of the Emergency Response Plan (incl. project implementation of different projects with different institutional donors and National Offices), maintaining the emergency master budget, ensure the regular development of Sitreps, representing the organisation at various clusters, working groups and towards external as well as internal (i.e Regional Office, IH, Lake Chad Basin Unit) humanitarian actors, being the overall line manager for the whole emergency response team which is spread across three locations (Abuja, Maiduguri and Mubi).
- To ensure that all these tasks can be appropriately addressed by the ERM, he/she will need to be able to delegate certain management authority and tasks to the Deputy ERM to ensure continuity and regular oversight and support to the emergency response team.
- Furthermore, it is key that in the absence of the ERM, no gap in terms of decision making regarding the response actions as well as continuous management support to the response team is occurring.
Emergency Response Programme Management:
- Provide leadership on humanitarian response operational issues – including dealing interfacing with finance, coordinating with HR and overseeing the Admin and logistics team and any other operational tasks as agreed with the ERM.
- Regular monitoring of project implementation status in terms of expenditures and activity implementation progress).
- In absence of the ERM (ie. due to leave, illness, other tasks) represents the emergency response team of Plan Int. Nigeria both internally and externally and therefore will act as Officer in Charge (OiC) including all related authority which is required to be the OiC.
- Jointly reviewing and revising where required with the ERM and the Plan Nigeria CMT the emergency response plan.
- Support program teams in the implementation of emergency response programs, including support for the start-up of new grants as well as during implementation and tracking of qualitative and timely implementation
- Support program teams with operational challenges by working closely with the logistics and admin department
- Support program teams in tracking expenditures and by reviewing financial reports.
Information and Co-ordination:
- Representing Plan International at all relevant external and internal meetings with humanitarian actors in the absence of the ERM
- Support the coordination and interlinkage of existing projects with new projects to ensure coherence by providing pro-actively as well as per request information to the Lake Chad Programme
- Coordinator, regional DRM team as well as colleagues of the national offices (NOs) within the Plan Federation.
- Participate in the lake Chad Programme NO/CO calls including updates on the emergency situation and response programme of Plan Nigeria
- Provide orientation and guidance on key processes in developing and implementing emergency response projects and proposals to the colleagues of Plan Nigeria.
- Ensure that new project designs are informed by needs assessments and contextual analysis
- Orient the emergency response team members on the use and concept of relevant human. Standards like SPHERE, CHS, INEE and CPMS
- Log-frame approach and application
- Linking CO emergency response team members to DRM related training opportunities
- Support project teams to enhance local PNGO capacity on organizational development, PCM and donor compliance
- Resource Mobilisation for follow up and new DRM grants
- Close collaboration with Business Development Advisor and CO Resource Mobilization Advisor at one side and technical specialist to ensure that proposal/project development is coordinated and well informed from a technical/programmatic point of view
- Support BDA and ERM in identifying potential extension/follow up intervention sectors through enhanced donor engagement
- Ensure that new intervention ideas are in line with overall Lake Chad and Plan Nigeria emergency programme and donor priorities.
- Support ERM and BDM regarding project presentations to COs, NOs & donors to enhance resource mobilization.
- Work closely with ERM and Security Advisor to monitor the security situation and to keep staff informed on new developments
- Support staff to implement safety and security measures
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and
- Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility.
- This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- ERM of Plan International Nigeria
- Country Director of Plan International Nigeria
- Head of Programmes of Plan Int. Nigeria
- Lake Chad Programme Coordinator and Lake Chad Business Development Manager
- Various departments within Plan International Nigeria (HR, Finance, Admin., Programmes etc.)
- All members of the emergency response team (incl. technical specialists, field coordinators, emergency admin., emergency project managers)
- Regional DRM Manager and DRM Programme Specialist of Plan WARO (West Africa Regional Office)
- DRM/ERMs of Plan International in Niger and Cameroon, other members of the Emergency Response country teams where required, EiE and CPIE Specialists in WARO and International Headquarters (IH) and the Country Education and Protection teams as appropriate
- Representatives of the NOs who collaborate with the CO on DRM projects in Nigeria
- Other agencies and stakeholders related to the programme – national and state government, relevant UN system, International NGOs, Local partners and communities.
- At least 5 years professional experience of coordinating/implementing humanitarian projects with at least 3 years of coordination/management role at programme level.
- Fluency in English in writing and speaking (mandatory)
- Demonstrable experience in coordinating and/or implementing related emergency projects funded through international donors (SIDA, ECHO, USAID, DFID, GFFO)
- Demonstrable experience of coordinating programmes/projects in line with key international humanitarian standards
- Demonstrable experience in direct supervision and line management of project staff
- Demonstrable experience of organizational representation and engagement with humanitarian donors
- General knowledge and understanding of INEE and CPIE minimum standards, Core Humanitarian Standards, SPHERE, Red Cross/NGO Code of Conduct and other relevant international standards for humanitarian response.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to guide local and international staff if required and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Well organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to Plan's; score values and humanitarian principles
Values in Practice
- We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
- We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
- We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
- We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
- Typical office environment with travels to project sites
Level of Contact with Children:
- Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children
- Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV's and a statement of interest responding to how you have demonstrated the above listed values in the course of your career. Indicate the job title and location as subject of the mail.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/550501 to apply for this job .