International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with the possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Working Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director, the direct supervision of the
Chief of Mission (CoM), the technical oversight of IOM Headquarters (HQs) Department of
Operations & Emergencies (DOE), in coordination with the Regional Emergency and Post Crisis (EPC) Specialist in Regional Office (RO) Dakar and the other Resources Management Unit and other Units in Abuja, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Emergency Response Programme in North East Nigeria and the Maiduguri Sub Office,
project development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), reporting, donor
relations and staff supervision.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supervise and manage the operational, human resources, administrative and financial functions of the sub-office in accordance with the Organizational regulations and procedures.
- Execute responsibility for the recruitment and capacity building of local staff.
- In coordination with the CoM, the project development officer and project managers, lead the development of new and ongoing emergency response programmes in North East Nigeria,including the Sub Office Operations in Maiduguri and provide guidance to the Emergency response.
- Develop and maintain close liaison with local authorities, assistance actors (including NGO's and UN Agencies), and with the United Nations Mission in Maiduguri. Represent the
- Organization and participate in coordination meetings at the State level vis-a-vis the
- Government and partners.
- Identify and develop projects and activities of interest for IOM in coordination with CoM, the relevant Programme Coordinators and in cooperation with government partners and communities.
- Direct and monitor implementation and reporting of all the Sub-office activities; supervise the work of Project Managers/Officers responsible for the execution of emergency projects. Ensure the application of the strategy, procedural standards and policies of IOM emergency projects.
- Review the overall direction and strategy of the emergency response programme for effectiveness on a regular basis, and build linkages with other IOM programmes in the country and the region.
- Oversee the development of Emergency Response project implementation strategies and
- preparation of dedicated standard operating procedures aimed at meeting the projects’ and Sub Office objectives.
- Monitor the performance of the programmes to ensure that the targets are being met, in
- coordination with Programme Managers. Provide regular reports to the CoM in order to provide an objective overview of programme performance. Prepare and submit reports to the CoM covering office operations, programme implementation, and progress programmes.
- Analyze operational and administrative activities and prepare recommendations with a view to increasing their effectiveness and streamlining procedures.
- Provide the CoM an objective overview of the performance of the programmes and Sub
- Office operations and isolate any factors that may be leading to underperformance and prepare proposals for appropriate action.
- Supervise the administrative functions including but not limited to:
- Staff recruitment and management ensuring that IOM Administration rules and regulations are implemented and followed;
- Tracking and supervising the financial expenditure per project code;
- Maintains records in coordination with the Resource Management Unit and in accordance with programme standards;
- Ensuring proper management of the office and maintenance of the IOM properties, infrastructures and assets;
- Ensuring an updated inventory of assets, in coordination with relevant departments;
- Ensuring the security of the staff and IOM properties in close coordination with UNDSS and
- the state level SMT.
- Ensure a comprehensive emergency response including good and effective coordination of activities between different IOM emergency projects and adequate monitoring of activities in North East Nigeria. Improve and expand IOM emergency team structure and human capacity to cope with the scale up of the emergency response in North East Nigeria. Identify new opportunities and recommend/implement measures to improve emergency projects and increase the efficiency of ongoing activities.
- Review and adjust proposals to ensure consistency with relevant priorities of IOM Nigeria emergency response, including IOM role in ES/NFI and CCCM sector coordination, taking into consideration available resources. Formulate and present such proposals through the use of technical and substantive inputs, in accordance with the required format for final review and approval.
- Ensure compliance with IOM and donor regulations and obligations as indicated in the funding agreements, project documents, work plans and budgets, with an emphasis on timely and accurate reporting.
- Undertake duty travel relating to programme assessments, Management meeting, emergency project monitoring, and liaison with counterparts, problem solving, and new project development, as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
Practical experience with international organizations, in development,
implementation and evaluation, and/or project implementation and management;
Experience in Camp Coordination and Camp Management, ES/NFI, Shelter, DTM and project management and/or coordination;
Familiarity with different project cycle steps and donor relations;
Ability to supervise large numbers of staff;
Experience in liaising with government authorities, inter-governmental institutions, other national and international institutions and national and international NGOs;
Previous experience working in Nigeria is an advantage. Working experience in the region is an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
Creativity and Initiative – actively seek new ways of improving programmes or services;
Leadership and Negotiation – develop effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve the performance of self and others;
Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation; Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/550261 to apply for this job .